• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Widgets, variables and advanced actions-help!

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've spent the last 4 days doing search after search and can't figure this out. I want to use the combobox widget included in Adobe Captivate 4 to do things. How do I get it to do anything? In the widget parameters it has comma separated items and enter a variable nae you want to store the selected item. Lets say I have 4 items 1,2,3,4 and a variable of supmat. How do I get it to perform an action when I choose 1,2,3 or 4? I added supmat as a user variable because I didn't see it in there automatically (I assumed it would create). I tried making an advanced action to look for it.

I've found the article showing how a youtube widget was created, but I haven't found a good explanation on how to use the widgets included in Adobe 4. I am using a trial (which in previous experience is just a time limited full version) while I wait on my purchaser to get my full version. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, my reason for trying to use the widgets, is one thing I really need in Captivate to replace using Lectora is the ability to have a dropdown list of URL links for my learners, and I would think the combobox would be good for this. If someone has a better idea, I am all ears.
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "documentation" for the existing widgets or even how to make new widgets is crappy. Basically you are left to yourself to find out how to use the stock supplied widgets and make your own ;o)

I also tried the combobox widget, but in the end I just abandoned it. I need a drop-down list myself but ended up making it in Flash and importing it into Captivate as an animation. If you know Flash you can use the components to make a quick drop-down list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm in the process of learning flash, but hoping to find a quick solution for dropdown menus in the meantime. I might have to get someone more flash knowledgeable in our org to help me out in the meantime. Thanks for the answer, it seems like these forums are pretty dead compared to the other Adobe products.

I just hope I can find the answers quick enough, because our campus is determining what path we cant to use for content creation, and the entire UC system as a whole is researching what content creation systems to use for future coursework and integration into our LMS systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
You need to deliberatley add the variable "supmat" to captivate using the Actions window. Now on chosing any item from the Combo-Box , write a script on a button which shall invoke an action and then do the intended action.

Let me know, if you need a sample project explaining the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also send you a mock up, but it wont be till (at least March 7th - O/S on holiday!). BUT, if you assign a variable to the ComboBox and use the OnExit Event you will be able to check the value using a series of conditional actions.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any sample projects or details would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 01, 2009 Mar 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Highlander Hugh,

I have created a sample project(test.cp).
You can download it from:
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=e3e34145-0a80-4492-8ddd-149758387f97

try this sample project and please confirm whether this project addresses your issue.

Regards,
Manish
http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also was hoping to take a look at that example... can it be posted here? when I went to the link in Acrobat.com it was unavailable. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2009 Mar 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manish,
Thanks for your example. I see where I was confused, I thought the action of selecting an item from the combbox alone was supposed to execute an action. I didn't realize all it does it select an item for the variable, and that another button must be put in to tie the advanced action to. What I might do, is setup the combobox and then have a smaller icon next to it that the user clicks on to actually go to the url they select.

Thanks much.

Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources