• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere won't read renamed files from Zoom H4N recorder?

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched around and can't seem to find a solution to why this might be happening. Basically, every time I rename raw audio files, Premiere will treat the file as if there is no sound (track displays a flat line instead of a waveform). I've resorted to just not renaming audio files at all to be safe, but this is becoming a media management nightmare and I would really just like to rename my audio files so it's clear what shoot they belong to based on the individual file name, not just the folder hierarchy.

Here's what I have been doing that works vs. what I would like to do, but does not work.

The process that works:

1. Copy .wav files SD Card (recorded with a Zoom H4N) to a folder on an external hard drive
  2. From finder, drag the unnamed, original, raw audio files into premiere Project pane
  3. Drag audio from project pane into a sequence
  4. Works fine! The audio track displays a waveform and plays as expected.

The process that DOES NOT work:

1. Copy .wav files from SD Card (recorded with a Zoom H4N) to a folder on an external hard drive
  2. Rename audio files in Finder (just manually updating he file name, not the file type.)
    • i.e.: [080107.wav] will become [ShootA_2018_080107.wav]
  3. From finder, drag audio files into premiere Project pane
  4. Drag audio from project pane into a sequence
  5. The audio track displays a flatline and audio does not play.

To clarify -- I am not trying to relink renamed audio. I'm literally just importing renamed audio into premiere and it will not register sound. Is there something wrong with my process, or is this a problem with premiere? Renaming audio files seem critical for file management, so it would surprise me if Premiere could not handle this. This process works fine when I rename video clips...why not audio?

Any help very much appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very puzzled. I rename audio files frequently, as they come in from the recorder with totally useless names as you note. So ... wondering where this goes wrong in your rig.

Have you tried importing (properly) from the Media Browser rather than Finder? Takes no more time, but that seems to get better meta data into PrPro in general.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an H4N but only have old CS6 so can't try to duplicate problem (on win 10). I'm posting mostly to follow this thread, because it boggles my mind.

In the past when putting stuff into PPro from recorders ( H4N or Tascam) I created a bin first. I would name the bin something like Audio-ShootA-date, just something to ID what stuff it is from shoot. Same as renaming all the individual sound files except it's the BIN that names them. Typically for me these are slated things that correspond to the video stuff I also load into a BIN that ID's that junk.

So I link the audio and video simply by counting down. First sound clip = first video clip. I could change the names of stuff in the project panel as I get into the editing stuff, but I don't do it before importing.

The free program ( renamer ) I've used to rename video stuff before imports sometimes. Cause I just let the video recorder default to it's normal naming after starting a new SSD thing ( deleted old files and starting with fresh SSD ).

So I just tell renamer to append (in front of filename) the date I want (which tells me the shoot day ).

Anyway, interesting stuff... good luck and I look forward to what the solution is.

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it has something to do with FAT32 filename conventions for wav files or something weird like that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hehe, I keep trying to work out in my head what might be happening.

If external HD is a little slow maybe user isn't waiting long enough for peak files to be generated...simply waiting a minute or so...so the peak stuff catches up with the Xfer...and all is groovy ??

: P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines