Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color correct partial over exposed paper - Hand drawing Video

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I need to color correct the following footage. The problem here is that the footage was slightly over exposed on the left side, so that there is a light gradient over the paper. How can I correct the paper to white and the stroke to black, without messing up the colors of the drawing hand completely?

I'm totally new to premiere, so maybe I am missing something fundamental here...

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you reshoot?

It might be easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, I was just thinking the same thing as Peru.

I downloaded the pic and put into photoshop ( I'm pretty good at that program), and did a selection, feathered it, adjusted levels, made a smaller selection, feathered, adjusted levels ( moving from about halfway for first selection then about 1/4 to left for second one ) and then even messed around with some healing brush, and it was like ridiculously subtle improvement.

And that would just be ONE FRAME.

hehe... so reshoot is magic answer.

Unless AE has some secret magic thing to select that line and darken the line...cause the exposure doesn't bother me, it's just the fading line on left that looks weak.

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just curious... that drawing looks a little like a pet paramecium I had once. What is it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paramecium.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats the outline of Austria xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly the reshooting will take me a lot of time, since that is only a small fraction of what I recorded so far...

Thank you rodneyb56060189​ for trying to improve it anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s really difficult to achieve this in Premiere Pro. You might be better to send it over to AE. Separate the hand from the BG using either Rotobrush or mask tracking. Then use Levels on the paper to lighten it and adjust contrast.

alternatively, if you can’t use AE. Try duplicating the layer and using Add mode to blend it with the layer below, this should lighten  up a bit. Experiment with the different blend modes and opacity settings. You could also check out the individual channels to see if one has more contrast than the others. Then use this channel to boost the levels or make a selection.

As someone else said. Easiest method is to reshoot and light it well before shooting 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another idea. Remove the hand and replace it with a photo of the hand. Motion track this or manually animate it to obscure the original hand after correcting the paper with levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since you're new to PPro, I'm just curious. Have you tried auto levels effect yet ? It might improve it just enough for you to feel it is acceptable.  AFTER doing auto levels ( it matters what way you apply stuff, the order ) also add brightness / contrast and adjust sliders while watching program monitor and see if you can get close to what you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines