Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook Pro 2016 Slow Performance

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have a late 2016 15' MacBook Pro and I just switched from FCPX to Premiere Pro and I'm experiencing terrible performance. Trying to scrub through my footage is almost impossible as it lags so much. I've tested identical clips in FCPX and the workflow is perfectly smooth but when using Premiere the lag is unbearable.

I have the 2.6 GHz Intel i7 processor, 16 GB Ram and Radeon Pro 450 Graphics. The footage I'm using is from my DJI Mavic Air shot in 4k at 24fps

I've tried changing the playback preview to 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 and am still experiencing lag.

Any suggestions whats going on?

What are good Sequence settings for editing 4k footage that I want to be downscaled to 1080?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, I do hope you understand that Apple being ... well, Apple ... the OS and FCP are 'juiced' to work better in some parts of video post than outside apps can. So there's that to begin with.

Second, you don't say how many cores for the CPU, but you've only 16Gb of RAM. And are running long-GOP media from a drone. That's produced of course by dedicated chips in the drone that quickly reduce the pixels of the sensor to an occasional complete but highly compressed " i-frame " and all other frames are simply data-sets of pixels that change after or before i-frames, and some of the drones even do partial i-frames extending the mess farther.

For all non-i-frame 'frames', the CPU has to decompress & store to RAM all relative i-frames, then recall the datasets of the p/b frames, recall the complete frames from RAM, compute each frame, then pass the frames along.

The basic suggestion for hardware for best long-GOP playback is as close to 10 cores as you can get, with a CPU processing speed as close to 4Ghz or if possible faster, with 10GB of RAM per core.

If you can't make that, and realistically, even if you can, you probably will want to use the PrPro Proxy process for most editing with long-GOP media. Use the Cineform preset that's included, don't worry about matching frame-size just aspect ratios (as in 16:9 or whatever).

And look up on the Adobe website for the video tutorials they have on using Proxies. They're fast and quite useful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines