Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there no option to undelete

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because like in other programs, you get a dialog box CONFIRMING that you want to delete, and only if you answer in the affirmative does delete actually happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but when I am asked to confirm deletion of one picture I do not expect it to delete all the photos in the folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rogera50661785  wrote

Thanks for the reply but when I am asked to confirm deletion of one picture I do not expect it to delete all the photos in the folder

That only happens when you have other, All, photos selected in that folder. But in that Confirm Deletion dialog box, at the top, is listed the number of images that will be deleted. And then there is a Cancel button in that dialog box too.

Delete conformation.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 is not the same as 400

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And LR does not auto Select all images if you only select one or delete any images that aren't selected.

The Selection and De-Selection system, the way the images are highlighted, in LR leaves something to be desired but in the "Confirm" dialog box that I posted a screen shot of does clearly state how many images are selected and will be removed or deleted and if it states a larger number of images than you thought you had selected then use the Cancel button to Exit out and check your selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has never said publicly whey they don't provide undo of photo deletion. But you can add your constructive opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Cannot undo delete | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner.  That will make it a little more likely Adobe might eventually prioritize the request, and you'll be notified if they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curiosity bites !

Steps-

1) Delete one photo in the LR Library-  [Delete] [Delete from Disk]

2) Immediately right-click another photo in the same folder

3) [Show in Explorer]  (I have Windows-10)

4) Press [Ctrl+Z]  - Photo restored to folder from Windows Recycle Bin.

5) LR Synchronize folder to import back to LR  (naturally, all edit data is lost)

But yeah- if I 'Confirm' a deletion, I expect it to be gone!!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but I am unable to because when I confirm deletion of one picture I did not expect it to delete all the photos in the folder so there are none left to right click on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then don't highlight all the images before you press the delete key. This is just a user error and user failure to observe what's going on, in my opinion. Additionally, the Lightroom warning should have indicated that all the images were about to be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

read all conversation before answering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rogera50661785  wrote

read all conversation before answering

I have followed the conversation. If you only had one image highlighted and yet all of the images were deleted in the folder then perhaps it's time to reset your preferences because that isn't normal behavior. And, of course the images in the trash aren't going to have the editing included because the editing only exists in the catalog. You have to export copies to have the editing as part of the image file. It's unfortunate that this happened, and what happened to you certainly is not normal. That's why it cannot be explained. It has never happened to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have stated you may not have realized you had more than one image selected when you confirmed Remove from disk.

Check your trash if it isn't on auto empty you may find your images there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated earlier lightroom asked me to confirm deletion of one photo and not all of them,

Thank you yes, pictures are in trash but none of the 400 edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pictures are in trash but none of the 400 edits

Going forward, you can protect against accidental deletion (bugs or user error) by turning on the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP. This writes your edits and metadata into the XMP metadata of the photos (inside the photos for non-raws, in .xmp sidecars for raws).

This provides an additional layer of protection on top of incremental backups.  Backups may not have captured recent edits, and since most users don't regularly test their backups, there's a significant possibility that the backups will not be useable.  It's always good to have multiple layers of protection against data loss.

About once a year I accidentally delete some photos, and it's often easiest for me to retrieve them from the trash along with their XMP metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that is very helpful advice to change the catalog settings, I'm going to do that now incase this ever happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Delete one photo in the LR Library-  [Delete] [Delete from Disk]

2) Immediately right-click another photo in the same folder

3) [Show in Explorer]  (I have Windows-10)

4) Press [Ctrl+Z]  - Photo restored to folder from Windows Recycle Bin.

Very interesting.  But it doesn't work on Mac -- I've noticed before that LR puts things in the Trash differently than Finder does, and the Trash doesn't know the original location of LR-deleted photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis  wrote

and the Trash doesn't know the original location of LR-deleted photos.

Try Cmd+Option+ Esc to open the Finder Quit dialog, then Force Quit (Relaunch) Finder. This tends to expose the contents of Trash that for whatever reason Lightroom/Finder tries to hide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The deleted files are IN the trash but as John said the original location info is gone and Put Back is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines