• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add relative border

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm trying to process thousands of images so that they all end up the same size as a standard sheet of paper (594mm by 420mm) and include a white border. I can get the exact result I am looking for by using the print module and adding a border and then saving as a jpeg, but it doesn't save the titles.

I have had a look at adding a border as a watermark but because all of the images are totally different shapes this doesn't work, at least as far as I can tell.

Anyone able to provide any solutions?

Thanks!
Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you created and tested a template in the print module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not, I'm not sure how I would do that. However, in the print module the issue is that the title is not saved. Rather it saves the files with generic names. It is important that I keep the original file names for hosting files online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the print module the issue is that the title is not saved.

In the LR Print module you require the "Title" to be entered into the photo metadata (in Library module) before you will see it on the print.

This is the "Filename"  selected for [Photo Info]

ScreenShot048.jpg  ScreenShot050.jpg

This is the "Title"  selected for [Photo Info]

ScreenShot049.jpg  ScreenShot051.jpg

ScreenShot052.jpg

You can also select [Edit...] and construct a template to show any combination of metadata on the print.

ScreenShot056.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bena77449568  wrote

Hi all, I'm trying to process thousands of images so that they all end up the same size as a standard sheet of paper (594mm by 420mm) and include a white border. I can get the exact result I am looking for by using the print module and adding a border and then saving as a jpeg, but it doesn't save the titles.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You can add the title to a print template. Check 'Photo Info' in the right panel and choose the title for the option you have (use 'Edit' to get more options).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I'm trying to get the title of the file to be correct. This method just adds the title to the image which is not what I want. Thanks anyway though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a plug-in LR2Mogrify to solve a similar problem w.r.t. size and portrait/landscape 'padding'. You can also get the title(selected metadata) to print in the border if you want but if the border is relative I am not sure how the title would vary in position or size.  Essentially you have a default canvas size of 594x420mm set in the plug-in and it automatically varies external borders/padding to suit the maximum image dimension you set - it can be set to automatically sort out landscape and portrait variations. LR2Mogrify is quite a powerful plug-in but the steep learning curve is well worth it.  Note: if you are using it on a PC you need to install a legacy version of ImageMagick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I actually downloaded both Mogrify and the other program that I needed to run it. I have it installed as a plugin but all I could see was adding a border manually using pixels. Maybe it wasn't really clear. I'll have another look through the online guides and hopefully, that will do what I need. From your comment, it definitely sounds like it will.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the title on your jpeg use the Text Annotation in Mogrify add a token for the metadata for title or caption so that it changes with each print with a wide range of choice of fonts and colour. You get to select the position either in terms of pixels or in terms of %of image dimensions.

To get a 'relative' border use the Canvas feature - select a no of pixels for both dimensions (print resolution x dimension in cm  pixels per cm e.g. 118x59.4=7096).  Choose to resizing every photo to same dimensions, keep aspect ratio, and adjust for landscape/portrait.

I may have been confused but have just struggled to get the title outside the image area in the border but have not exhausted all the permutations of fonts and border size with negative and positive insets. The file below includes an outer border of 2% of the short side with other settings as above Mogrify has increased the short side borders to retain the aspect ratio. (Colours set to demonstrate not taste!)  

A2Test-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone, I think I must have been a bit confusing with my question. I need the actual file title to be the same as the original file. So when I open a bunch of files and process them through Lightroom's print function and then save them as jpeg they are saves as file 1, file 2, etc. I do not want the title to appear on the image.

I found a solution though, which was long-winded. I had to process them through Lightroom to make the width of all the Portrait and square, and Height of all the landscape the same. Then I processed them in Photoshop by reducing the image size and then increasing the canvas size in batch processes Landscape and Portrait (and square) separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That sounds torturous. Probably too late but you should be able to achieve what you want with LR2Mogrify and probably in a single pass. Happy to help if you want to know for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines