• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Midi Keyboard-uses and "How To"

Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually a pianist with access to a lot of midi keyboards, and many years of practicing, so I have quite a lot of co-ordination in my fingers. I'm fairly new to CA and am learning to create movements to my children's songs that I've composed.

My questions-1. What are the advantages of using a midi-keyboard vs. a regular computer keyboard or a stream deck?

2. How do you program a midi keyboard to make movements, etc.?

3. What size of midi-keyboard is optimal?  All of mine are 60+ notes and large.

Thanks for all the information.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Good questions -- I'll try some answers

1. The advantage of using a midi keyboard is that you can generate behavior triggers, and also tones (music) if desired.

2. Each key on a midi keyboard sends a trigger signal, so when a triggered item is selected in the trigger panel, and a midi value is added  at the bottom, whenever that midi value is generated by the midi keyboard, or by recorded audio/midi file, that triggered behavior is activated. Also midi controllers have dials and sliders which can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also-does the fact I have a lot of co-ordination make it any easier to control the puppets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good questions -- I'll try some answers

1. The advantage of using a midi keyboard is that you can generate behavior triggers, and also tones (music) if desired.

2. Each key on a midi keyboard sends a trigger signal, so when a triggered item is selected in the trigger panel, and a midi value is added  at the bottom, whenever that midi value is generated by the midi keyboard, or by recorded audio/midi file, that triggered behavior is activated. Also midi controllers have dials and sliders which can control behavior parameters.

TriggerPanel.png   or  TriggerPanel_002.png

3. There are small midi controllers with only two sets of keys, and options to choose where those sets are on a full keyboard. These also have the sliders and dials.

4. If you want to use the midi controls while live recording, good coordination is certainly a plus. Midi signals can also be pre-recorded in music apps, to sync with the music.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had always thought it was just in case you ran out of keys on your keyboard - but hooking up a sound effect to a puppet cycle layer as well sounds useful, especially for live performances. I had not thought of sliders - are there midi joysticks? So can use a joystick or trackpad to adjust X and Y at the same time? That would be nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are midi controllers with no piano keys, just knobs, buttons, sliders and joysticks. DJs use them for controlling what's playing and how loud. Stage set directors use them to control lighting. It's also possible to connect gaming devices through a midi translator, if it doesn't transmit directly to midi. Here's one way -- https://ask.audio/articles/watch-how-to-transform-xbox-360-controller-into-incredible-midi-controlle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines