• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CreativeCloudSet-Up.exe error message (Windows 7)

Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had Adobe Creative Cloud for several years and whatever updates or other stuff it needs to do all seem to happen quietly in the background.  Until now...

My PC's run 24/7 and this morning when I came down to the studio I had a dialog on the screen saying "This destination already contains a folder named 'Adobe Desktop Common' and asking if I still wanted to merge them.  There was one called 'Adobe Desktop Common' and one called 'Adobe Desktop Common_4.6.0.384'

Microsoft Sysinternals Process Explorer confirmed that the source of this dialog was CreativeCloudSet-Up.exe.

If I dismiss the dialog with a "No" it puts up another one complaining about another Adobe folder.     Why am I getting this stuff now and how do I prevent it?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Thanks for the update, Homeboy4, if you have a case number from your interaction with our support team then I would be very interested in reviewing the transaction.

For future viewers of this discussion, you can use the steps listed in "Failed to install" error received when installing Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app to remove and reinstall the Creative Cloud desktop app.  The four solutions listed resolve most common installation issues with the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peternelson, I am sorry but which Adobe software title are you attempting to install?  If you are installing the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application then are you utilizing the steps listed in Learn how to download your Adobe Creative Cloud apps to install the Creative Cloud desktop app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peternelson, I am sorry but which Adobe software title are you attempting to install?

As I explained in my question I'm not attempting to install anything!   This is something Adobe is doing all by itself -  probably some automatic update.

Just like Homeboy4 I leave my PC running.   At night when I'm not at my computer virus-scans and backups run automatically so I don't want to shut it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peternelson, the common thread from both you and Homeboy4 is that the computer is left unattended overnight.  Assuming that you manage this computer yourself then I would recommend completing the following steps:

1. Remove all installed Adobe software - Uninstall or remove Creative Cloud apps
  2. Reinstall the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application and any needed CC applications by using the process listed in Learn how to download your Adobe Creative Cloud apps

Once you have completed both steps then I would recommend not leaving the computer unattended for a week to see if the behavior reoccurs.

By completing these steps you can help verify no other Adobe software is installed and there are no other parties are causing unexpected files to be produced on the computer.

If either of you is using a computer managed by an I.T. organization then please work directly with that organization to investigate any files that may be deployed to the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be too disruptive to our schedule and production environment.   I want to know why we're getting these when we've had a CC subscription for years and this just started.   Does CC have a log file so we can see what's it's trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peternelson, if you are in a Production environment then what type of Creative Cloud membership does your organization have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just my license but I work with other artists and musicians so I/we can't afford down-time.

Anyway the proposed solution sounded speculative.   "Just hit the big red button and restart everything".   I want to know what CAUSES this problem and fix THAT.   Does the update software keep a log so we can see what it was trying to do?  Does it save anything to the Event Viewer?

BTW, when I clicked on the Creative Cloud icon to see "what kind" of license I had (what kinds are there?)  it said Adobe Creative Cloud was damaged and it's attempting a repair.  Now it says it's "downloading Creative Cloud Desktop" What does that mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peternelson, the behavior that has been described in this discussion has not been previously observed or reported.  My suggestions in post #10 are to help you reduce the possible causes of why you are experiencing this unusual behavior.

By removing any unexpected Adobe software titles you can reduce the cause of the unexpected behavior.  By then verifying that you are using the recommended steps to install Creative Cloud software it will further reduce the likelihood of files being unexpected updated.

Please do let me know if you have any questions regarding the recommended steps in post #10.  You are also welcome to contact our support team directly at Contact Customer Care if you would like direct assistance with the removal and reinstallation process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the same thing. I am not trying to install anything. I just sat down to the computer this morning, moved the mouse and this was on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Homeboy4, are you manually opening the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application or is it launching automatically when Windows 7 starts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I leave for the day, I leave the applications opening that I am working on. A screen saver shuts off the monitors but the computers continue. Last night the following were open: InDesign, Illustrator, Fiery CWS, Retrospect. When I came in this morning I moved the mouse and this error message was on the screen. So I was launching the Adobe apps either manually or automatically because there were already open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, Homeboy4, for the additional details.  If you discover the cause of this unexpected behavior please update the public forum discussion.  You may want to consider shutting down the computer when you leave, for a few days to see if the behavior still occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two typos:

Should be: "applications open" not "applications opening"

Should be: "So I wasn't" not "So I was"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the same thing. I am not trying to install anything. I just sat down to the computer this morning, moved the mouse and this was on the screen.

That's the one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, apparently the CC app was corrupted. The problem was solved by removing the CC app using Adobe CC app removal software, then reinstalling it. I left my applications open last night as I always do and didn't get an error message this morning. Why or how the CC app became corrupted is unknown.

Although this is how the problem was solved, I was not able to perform these tasks by myself. I contacted Adobe support, the rep took over my computer remotely, and performed the operations I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update, Homeboy4, if you have a case number from your interaction with our support team then I would be very interested in reviewing the transaction.

For future viewers of this discussion, you can use the steps listed in "Failed to install" error received when installing Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app to remove and reinstall the Creative Cloud desktop app.  The four solutions listed resolve most common installation issues with the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines