• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No sound in clips with PCM audio track

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I record concerts with two cameras: a Panasonic GX8 and a GH4R.  GX8 has compressed sound track while GH4R has uncompressed PCM.  Normally, everything worked fine in Premiere Pro.  Now something is suddenly broken during import without me changing anything.  Importing the GX8 files works fine.  But importing GH4R files results in only video being imported.  The project browser shows that each GH4R clip has a linked audio track, but opening a clip in source monitor shows only video.  There is no audio, no wave-forms, silence.  There is no problem with these new files as they play fine in other programs.  The same is happening if I import GH4R files I used in earlier projects.  In fact opening an older project from May (fully edited with all clips already imported) suffers, too.  No GH4R file has any audio.

Windows 10 Pro 1803 (Build 17134.137)

Nvidia Quadro M2000 driver version 391.74

Premiere Pro 12.1.1 (Build 10)

P.S. I have cleared the media cache, reinstalled Premiere Pro, and even reset all Premiere Pro preferences, rebooted countless times in between.  Nothing helped so far.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like 2i is working.  But the situation is really bizarre, and I cannot tolerate it.  I cannot work like this.  Adobe really needs needs to get its act together because these random issues are extremely frustrating.

When I create a project on a different disk than the disk with all my clips it all works fine.  I move this working project file to the same disk, it nicely locates the media, but there is no sound!  When I move it back to the other disk is works again.

Is there a way to get rid of this ridiculous behaviour?  It all worked fine with the previous version of Premiere Pro, and this total breaks my folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very frustrating when things don't work out the way expected. But there are tons of variables. For example, are these disks external and is one formatted FAT32 and the other formatted NTFS ? We don't know much more about what you are dealing with than you do.

It is frustrating but at least you have something that is currently, like, working ??  hehe, thank God for that !

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is even more messed up, but perhaps there is something interesting that might help pinpointing the issue.  I used to have my projects and media files in one place earlier: I created a new folder in D:\Temp for each active project.  This is a fast disk, and it was faster to edit this way.  Then I moved off each project to a more "permanent" location when it was fully edited and done.  I have changed the underlying storage in my "permanent" location, and it is quite fast.  I was hoping to have everything on one place from the start.

But somehow Premiere Pro is "stuck" in my old D:\Temp sub-folders.  If the project and media files are there everything works file.  When I move anything to the "permanent" location then something breaks with the sound tracks: either no sound, or no wave forms or both.

Everything is NTFS, the D:\Temp is an Intel Matrix Storage RAID5 with SSDs, and the permanent location is a MegaRAID RAID6 with 6 mechanical hard drives.

/Karol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's the Cache?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media cache is in its default place C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\

Scratch disks point all to C:\Temp\PremierePro\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I don't know that this is the issue, but my first thought is to recommend a new setup.

C: System

D: Projects files, audio files, still images

E: Cache & Scratch

F: Camera media/proxies

G: Exports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, based on what happened a few years ago:

Use this uninstall tool, from step 6:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

And reinstall the program as administrator.

And in the future, you will not use registry cleanup tools like any other means that indicate you have invalid registry keys linked to Premiere.

You will see if it fits your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe go into PPro preferences for audio stuff... see what you got. PPro WDM or MME or whatever , also other settings...change them and see if that fixes it.

??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the GH4R files in a .mov wrapper?

What format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines