• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I sign a PDF with a certificate using Acrobat Reader DC? This works fine in Adobe Reader XI.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat Reader XI I can sign a PDF document with a Digital Certificate. After updating to Acrobat Reader DC I can't figure out how to do this. I see where I can sign with an image of mu signature, but how do I sign with a certificate?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Check

In the top bar select "Tools". Check whether the Tools list in the right-hand pane has "Certificate" tool. If it does not look for the "Certificate" tool in the Tools list in the main pane (you may need to scroll down to get to it. The caption below should say "Add". Click on it. The "Certificate" tool is added to the list of frequently used tools in the right-hand pane.

Now that ""Certificate" tool is in the right-hand pane, click on it. You get a new bar on the top that lists operations t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check

In the top bar select "Tools". Check whether the Tools list in the right-hand pane has "Certificate" tool. If it does not look for the "Certificate" tool in the Tools list in the main pane (you may need to scroll down to get to it. The caption below should say "Add". Click on it. The "Certificate" tool is added to the list of frequently used tools in the right-hand pane.

Now that ""Certificate" tool is in the right-hand pane, click on it. You get a new bar on the top that lists operations that you can do with digital signatures. These are the same options that you had in Acrobat XI when you clicked on Fill&Sign->Work with Certificates.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Isaklen, I found “Certificates” on the tools page per your instructions. If I click on it I can sign a document with a certificate as I could in Acrobat Reader XI. Unfortunately however, there is no “Add” selection, just “Open” or “Learn More”. Other items on the Tools page show the add option, but not that one. Any idea why?

Opening the Tools page each time I want to use this feature is a bit more awkward, but at least I can get it done, so thanks again. If you have any idea how I can add/remove items from the right hand menu, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no "Add" option it means that the Certificates tool is already in the tools shortcut list on the right. Once it gets there it stays there and the next time you just click on the tool shortcut to invoke the tool. In the full tools list you can click on the small rectangle to the right of the caption and you get a drop-down list with actions available for this tool. The tools shortcut list usually shows in the "Document" mode as well. You can minimize it by clicking the arrow in the middle of the left side of the tools shortcut panel. To get it back you click om the arrow in the middle of the right edge of the document window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Certificates tool is NOT visible in the shortcut list on the right. There are seven shortcuts, Export PDF, Create PDF, Edit PDF, Comment, Fill & Sign, Send for Signature, and Send & Track. My preference would be to remove the last three and add the Certificates tool. Is there a way to edit this list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add shortcuts in Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what version you're using but same as the others here I find no way to add the "certificate" option to the sidebar,

please see screenshots below:

(note: using Max OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan)

a4YDfVU.png3aJWoXi.png

1Ov8lSF.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible in Adobe Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That explains a lot, although I don't understand why; this is an annoyance yes, but not worth the very steep pricing of acrobat in any way. 218€/year just to have something were it belongs in the first place... no thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, IsakTen, for this.  Why the hell Adobe keeps obscuring things that used to be so simple just blows my mind.  I'm surprised that Adobe still has customers after something like this.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some pdf documents, "Certificates" tool works, but for some pdf docuements the options under Certificates are greyed out as shown below. Wonder why?

Shri0D45_0-1603200291574.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I have that issue - form downloaded from a Government website and cannot be signed digitally.  The entire section is greyed out.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines