• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move content from one layer to another 2018

Enthusiast ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I update to CC2018. Deleted prefs. I cannot move any content from one layer to another. I have to deactivate paste remember layers to paste onto another layer. Any workaround or setting I'm missing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to copy an object to clipboard, and then paste it to another (active) layer, then yes - you need to uncheck 'paste remember layers' for this. That's normal.

Or you mean you can't move object from layer to layer using Layers panel? In this case trashing preferences ought to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've trashed the prefs 3 times in 2 days. There has to be a better way. I'm not seeing the little square to the right of the image I need to select to move items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wholeheartedly agree - that's not normal at all to do it so frequently. However, the absence of those little square icons in a Layers panel directly indicates corrupted preferences. Seems like the newest ID version is pretty unstable so far.

UPDATE: BTW, it's possible to expand the layer in a panel (using small triangle in front of the layer's name), and grab / drag an item directly to another layer. Just a temporary workaround, it won't fix your prefs...

Regarding 'the better way', it is sticking with the previous version so far, at least for the projects on a deadline...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, thank you! I've been struggling with this problem for months; the little squares disappeared and never came back for any file. Trashing preferences etc. did not work. I'll gladly click on the triangle to drag things around. (Clearly I'm not a tech expert, I just need InDesign to keep doing what I already know it can do.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look here in the thread flow: Re: Can't move content from one layer to another 2018 . That brings you to an important answer of Steve Werner.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can bring back the missing square icons in your panels by deleting your InDesign cache files rather than your preferences.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire file “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the cache file completely leads to a lasting change.

For Windows Users: Follow the path to C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<language>\Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP has already said he’s trashed prefs repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trashing the Cache folder is not the same as trashing preferences. For interface problems like the squares missing from the layers panel this is the usual recommended fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That said, I don’t think it will hurt to do this but I suspect something more in line with some corruption coming in from the prior version’s prefs. I’ve seen some crashing reports from posters that transferred pref settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of sounding dumb, what constitutes the home folder? If I double click the HD icon, this is what I see:

2017-10-21_16-44-18.jpeg

If I go to my user folder, this is what I see:

2017-10-21_16-45-21.jpeg

While I'm here, how do I uninstall my 2014 and 2015 CC apps? I don't see an uninstaller in the utilities folder or in the app folder itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the CC Desktop app, click on the little arrow next to the Open button. Choose uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your home folder is the one with the house next to it which in your screen shot has your name next to it. If you hold down the option while going under the Finder's Go menu choose the the Library folder which will now appear within the home folder. Within that folder is the one called "Caches". Within that one is a folder called "Adobe InDesign". Delete that one and your squares within your layers panel should reappear when next you launch InDesign. Make sure that InDesign is closed when doing all of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep losing the ability to drag between layers. This is pretty much a daily event now. I also sporadically lose my workspace or the flyouts no longer work. Is it time to delete ID and reinstall a fresh download? I've deleted prefs and/or cache at least a dozen times each in the last month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what's the exact OS version of your Mac?

Are any browsers running concurrently with add-ons?

Maybe there is software that is conflicting with InDesign?

Did you consider to use CC Cleaner Tools before re-installing?

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are constantly having to trash your prefs, something is wonky on your system. This should not be happening that often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bob. I'd set up a new user on your computer and run from that, and be careful of what you copy into your new user area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a new iMac and finished setting up a few days ago. Going to try switching over tonight and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, I would be careful about migrating all your software to the new computer. While it would take longer, it would be much safer to install the CC apps first and test them out, then add the other apps manually one by one to look for possible conflicts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now it gets funky. I cloned my mac to a new mac. After a month, I lost the ability to move items between layers in InDesign and Illustrator! Both on the same day. I'm wondering if it can possibly be font related. Fonts can cause the weirdest problems. I know I'm grasping at straws. I'm going to uninstall ID and AI and do fresh install tomorrow when I'm closed. Driving me batty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines