• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Panorama merging

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am trying to stitch together some panoramas and am having nothing but grief. I use a pano - head on the tri-pod, I adjust for parallax , I have a nice level camera centered on my tri-pod and I shoot in 15 deg intervals. If I attempt to merge in light room I get dark vertical lines through the sky like there is a gap between photos ( and like I said I shoot at 15deg per shot so there should be plenty of overlap). Also  while attempting to create a preview of the merge on another set of photos, the program will suddenly stop and say "unknown error", and quit.  I sync all of the photos before starting to adjust for my lens as well.

If I attempt to merge them on photo shop I get worse results. I wind up with a terribly distorted image at times and or white lines all through the image, it doesn't matter what type of merge I choose, the results are still lousy. On the plus side with photo shop I don't have the dark vertical lines as with light room; it does a good job of blending the images its just distorted and has white lines.

I can see a free editing software saying "unknown error " but when you pay for the damned software you should expect a bit more info than that.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with panorama images. I'm using Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 on Windows 10. I have successfully created panoramas with as many as 24 raw images in three rows. I don't use a special panorama head. I normally shoot in aperture preferred mode. Are you certain that you are allowing sufficient overlap?

Also, please explain where you say that you sync all photos before starting to adjust for your lens. I typically do the merge first before doing anything else in Lightroom. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim thanks for responding, the pano head I use is set to rotate in 15 deg increments. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rayk60948421  wrote

Hi Jim thanks for responding, the pano head I use is set to rotate in 15 deg increments.

Like I said, that doesn't mean anything without knowing the focal length of the lens you use. A 500mm lens (on full frame) has a 4 degree angle of view horizontally, and 2.7 degree vertically, just to illustrate my point.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload 3 or so of the pano photos to Dropbox or similar site so we can see what the issue is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks will do when I get home from work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 15 degrees overlap does not mean anything as long as you do not say what focal length you used. Apart from that, there are other factors at play. Do you shoot with manual focus or auto focus? Auto focus can cause differences in focal distance that can cause problems when stitching. Do you shoot with auto exposure or manual exposure? Auto exposure can cause difficulties when blending the images. Do you shoot with a 'supported' lens (i.e. a lens profile is available) or a fully manual lens without any info? Lightroom uses metadata to determine the amount of distortion that is needed, so a lens without any metadata makes it more difficult to get a good result.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I use the Rokinon 24mm f1.4 art lens and shoot in manual I also sync all photos to that lens in light room. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rayk60948421  wrote

Hi I use the Rokinon 24mm f1.4 art lens and shoot in manual I also sync all photos to that lens in light room.

A 24mm (on full frame) has 73 degrees horizontally and 53 degrees vertically, so 15 degrees steps may even be a bit too much overlap. Anyway, share a few images via Dropbox or another service, so we can have a look.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks will do 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi just want to make sure you received the photos I sent. If not can you provide an email address to send to.Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I tried sending the file share on 2 e-mail addresses but they bothe came back not received. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what it looks like after Light Room stitched. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://we.tl/NtcuRgJUSm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It merged fine here.  I don't see any white lines except for the star movement and and no distortion.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 7.57.44 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob for checking them out for me.Dont know what I'm doing wrong, maybe I'll try stamp collecting instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the next image I can barely see some vertical lines in the sky right after merge.  After applying some radical adjustments I can see them much better.  They seem to be differences in the merge area of the photos as there is 6 of them and 8 photos.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 8.51.57 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, nice photos after you do a little editing on them!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing,  I have noticed that Photoshop will blend photos like these better than Lightroom but you have to sacrifice RAW merge in Photoshop.  I guess that is a tradeoff they had to make in the Lightroom RAW merge process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to know, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I merged the two panoramas without making any adjustments first. The first one has some vertical streaks, and I think they are caused by some slight vignetting but I don't have time to really look closer right now because I have to leave. The second one stitched quite cleanly for me. I don't see any real problems with it. I have made no other adjustments to either one at this point. I may come back a little later and look at both of them more closely. But I thought I would report my initial results. Using Lightroom Classic CC 7.4, Windows 10.

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines