• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting images no larger than 8x10

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to export an image no larger than 8x10. I have started a new business model and am looking to give my clients rights to no larger than 8x10. What specifications should I use so that when the client is printing an 8x10 it is clear, but when they want to go larger....say 16x20 it won't look the best?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Watch this YouTube video about Preserve Details 2.0 resampling in Photoshop and you will see why what you want to do is not possible.  The upsizing is great and the little loss of detail is made up by a larger viewing distance of a bigger photo so someone could probably easily upsize your image and make a very good larger print.  Im sure there are even better resizing tools out there.

How To Enlarge Images in Photoshop CC 2018 - Best Way To Upscale Photos - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you actually giving the clients a digital file containing the image?

If so, then by definition, whatever you give them that looks good at 8x10 won't look so good at 16x20, that's just a law of physics. Also,  16x20 will be viewed from further away than 8x10, and so that reduces the impact of the lower quality. But, there is software today that does a very good job of upsizing images which can look pretty darn good going from 8x10 to 16x20.

So I don't think there is really an effective answer to your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the client is getting the file. But I only want the to have rights to print where we they want but only at an 8x10. I guess what I’m looking for, is what an acceptable size (in pixels & dpi) to export for an 8x10, but wouldn’t be in any other size larger?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two_Hardts  wrote

Yes, the client is getting the file. But I only want the to have rights to print where we they want but only at an 8x10. I guess what I’m looking for, is what an acceptable size (in pixels & dpi) to export for an 8x10, but wouldn’t be in any other size larger?

The problem is always what you define as 'acceptable' and how the client see that. I would export at 8 x 10 inch and 240 ppi. That will bring the resolution down to 120 ppi if the client prints it at 16 x 20 inch. But maybe they'll find that quite acceptable...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Watch this YouTube video about Preserve Details 2.0 resampling in Photoshop and you will see why what you want to do is not possible.  The upsizing is great and the little loss of detail is made up by a larger viewing distance of a bigger photo so someone could probably easily upsize your image and make a very good larger print.  Im sure there are even better resizing tools out there.

How To Enlarge Images in Photoshop CC 2018 - Best Way To Upscale Photos - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines