Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aggregator Table of Contents

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivate Experts,

I have created an Aggregator Project with Table of Contents, in theory the ToC of the Master Movie should take over the properties of the Aggregator but certain functions are not working:

1. Both on the Master Movie and on the other projects there are actions to show the ToC.  They work perfectly on the single project, but not on the Aggregator project.

2. On the non-master projects the last slide is set to show the ToC on entry. Again, when previewed or exported separately, this function works fine but not when integrated into the Aggregator project.

Any solution to this issue?

Many thanks,

Bernadett

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

OK.  Then it's sounding a bit like this might be a new bug.  I haven't used the Aggregator for some years now because all of my clients are using an LMS and Aggregator does not support SCORM.

But I'm pretty sure that you COULD open the TOC from the child projects before.

In any case, why not consider just making the TOC permanently on the left and forgetting about using an Overlay TOC?  Is there any reason why you couldn't do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us are you aggregating swf files in the aggregator tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are all SWF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if I remember my Flash ActionScript days, you would normally transfer control from one movie clip to another. I don't think that is doable in the Aggregator tool since all it does is package the swf files with the default settings of the Master Movie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean.

If control is video by video, then it should work at least when the first one is playing but it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok lets go back to the beginning. What actions do you have that are controlling the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your patience. 

1. When the last but one slide comes up, show TOC.

2. Shape Button - on success show TOC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of each of the swf files that you put in the aggregator as separate objects. What the aggregator does is combine those objects together into another swf file or object - essentially the table of contents for the aggregator project. The individual swf objects that are combined in the aggregator process can control what happens to their own TOC when they are stand alone objects, but they cannot talk to the object that is created by the aggregator when they are combined - so therefore the actions in the individual file triggered by the slide action or button will not communicate to the swf object created by the aggregator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, that's clear now. Any suggestion for a solution or workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be trite but - dig out a flash actionscript manual or engage an actionscript programmer and build a custom solution. There are still a number of developers around who program in Flash - its still used extensively in the gaming industry for apps. I think Rod Ward's son Tristan is a Flash programmer - he developed Flash widgets for Captivate - Rod is a member of the community - he might be able to assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I could recommend anyone pouring money into developing a Flash SWF widget at this late stage of the game.

I would be interested to find out if indeed the issue is that the child SWFs are unable to control the TOC of the master.

So, if you add a Smart Shape button on any slide of a child module with the action set to SHOW TOC, are you saying nothing happens?

Have you made sure that all SWFs in this project (including the master SWF) were all created using the same version of Captivate?  That is usually recommended when using the Aggregator function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, that's the problem. All of them were were created in 2017 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Then it's sounding a bit like this might be a new bug.  I haven't used the Aggregator for some years now because all of my clients are using an LMS and Aggregator does not support SCORM.

But I'm pretty sure that you COULD open the TOC from the child projects before.

In any case, why not consider just making the TOC permanently on the left and forgetting about using an Overlay TOC?  Is there any reason why you couldn't do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually liked the aggregator function in Captivate since I built a number of courses for legal firms in Canada when they where migrating to use Word 10. Essentially they were job aids where the user could cherry pick the info they wanted. In fact we created these as executables that users would store on their local machine and use at the desktop without tying up network resources .

Anyway just to satisfy myself, a quick test on v 6 and v 8 suggest that you cannot control show / hide the toc generated by aggregator from within the individual swf files as is the case in 2017. (In version 6 there was no show/hide TOC action at all to control the overlay)

But nevertheless since I agree that to develop something for flash would be not effective going forward and you really want the control functionality,  you could create your own table of contents within each  project using a show / hide action and control it from within each project. You could create a TOC toggle button or use slide actions to show hide the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your helpful answers.

Now I have more queries...

1. I'm surprised to hear that Aggregator does  not support SCORM.I haven't got there yet, but I was hoping the SWF zipped file could be uploaded to our Moodle system as usual. Is this a false hope?

2. Executables - I was not aware that I can use executable files as well, not only SWFs. I'll try it.

3. Even if I create my own Table of Contens, how can I control another  sub-project from within another subproject?

Many many thanks for your help,

Bernadett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIt off topic, but workflow for a TOC toggle button:

1 action = 5 Toggle Buttons - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aggregator was never designed to be used with a SCORM-compliant LMS.  The tool Adobe created for that purpose is the Multi-SCORM Packaging Tool that also ships with Captivate.  But each SCO module in a SCORM course is not permitted (by the SCORM standard) to communicate with another SCO module. The intention is that the LMS would control all navigation to or from a SCO.

You could potentially upload an SWF file to a Moodle server as a resource, but not as a SCORM module.  To end up with a SCORM zip files you would need to publish to htm/swf from Captivate with all required SCORM reporting settings turned on.  The Aggregator will not do this for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comment was that each project would have its own table of contents internal in the project which would be controlled only in the project. You cannot control the table of contents from one object to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you All,

Rod, the permanent ToC seems to be the best bet, that's what I've done, safe and sound.

Thanks,

Bernadett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what you really didn't make clear in the first place is why you wanted to hide the TOC - if it was to prevent users from navigating ahead, having the permanent TOC will not necessarily achieve that objective. But it created a lot of discussion about a feature of Captivate that using a comment from another poster - a feature that will be lost because of a "fruit" company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wanted to hide it to leave IT up to the user to open or hide it. But I can't see any feasible solution to that, and need to move on. ☺️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources