• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frames?

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember me? After nearly 2 years away from the forum, I have returned with a "burning" question and am please to see many familiar "faces" still populating this space! Hello, everyone!

My client from way back has approached me with a question as to why the home page of his site is no longer responsive (for me, both FF and Chrome show it to work fine in their responsive display). Well, I haven't touched this site in some time as the owner has been able to make his own changes, but now when I look at the page source I see lots of strange stuff.

For example, when I open any page from this domain in the browser's web developer tool, I can see that all pages are embedded in a frameset. WHAAAAT? Is this some new technique I have missed in the intervening two years? I'm wondering if that could be part of the responsive problem.

Anyone have a clue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First a big welcome back Murray .

Frames, (as you know deprecated in html5) were often given a set size, so it may be worth looking in the html or css for a width. Also check the frame content for anything such as images that have also been given a width/height.

To quote you though, 'a link to the site, would be helpfull'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that's a good idea!

http://www.personaltransformation.com

I see the frameset on all pages, but the only page that is truly responsive is the home page since all other pages are just single column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The frames are set at 'noresize', so not responsive.

You should try and find out how frames have entered the code, maybe they have changed hosts or used a website builder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paula, I have no idea where that frameset is coming from. When I open index.html from the current site, there is no frame coding, so the server is definitely forcing the frameset. Maybe I'll contact the host...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O/K Murray,

This is what I am getting direct from the server -

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>personaltransformation.com</TITLE> <script language="javascript"><!--begin hiding function Clear() { self.status=""; setTimeout("Clear()",10); } Clear(); //end hiding --></script> </HEAD> <FRAMESET ROWS="*" FRAMEBORDER="0" BORDER="0" FRAMESPACING="0"> <frame src="index.html" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto" noresize> <NOFRAMES> <BODY> <p> </p> <p align="center"><a href="index.html"><b>Click Here To Enter</b></a></p> </BODY> </NOFRAMES> </FRAMESET> </HTML>

Please don't ask how

PS - This was from the index (home page) but the other pages are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome back & congrats on your retirement Murray!! 

Did the owners add domain forwarding through their host (Webmasters.com)  or DNS provider (Network Solutions)?   I ask because Frame forwarding is sometimes used -- although not preferred.

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8779/~/what-is-the-difference-between-frame-forwarding-and-url-forwarding%3F/c/5177/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah remember you well Murray, youre close in my thoughts regularly and l often refer to you as the person who contrubuted a lot to this forum and its child forum and someone l personally learned a considerable amount from. I observed some months ago you had shut your company down for whatever reason.

As for your current issue off the top of my head l have no idea....maybe WP plugin related. I know you produced some websites in that in your twilight years but its just a wild guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Os, I definitely became a WP afficianado in the last several years of my 'operation' but I closed my business in January of this year and retired/retired (before that I was 'retired/self employed'). This particular site, though, is about as far from a WP site as you can get!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok not WP related but good for you, hope you are enjoying retirement! Sounds good to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I remember, aren't you the owner of the scooter that had an altercation with a 4-wheeled vehicle? The friend of a certain Al Sparber of PVII? Great to see you Muz.

On topic, +1 for Paula's answer (the link that is).

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, definitely. Great to see you are still plugging here, Ben! Are you still a benevolent grandpop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be successful in this game, one needs to be benevolent otherwise lose your client to WP operators . Just joking. 

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I see in the Developer tool for the page (index.html) source -

<html><head>

<title>personaltransformation.com</title>

<script language="javascript"><!--begin hiding

function Clear() {

self.status="";

setTimeout("Clear()",10); }

Clear();

//end hiding --></script>

</head>

<frameset rows="*" frameborder="0" border="0" framespacing="0">

<frame src="index.html" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="auto">

<noframes>

<BODY>

<p> </p>

<p align="center"><a href="index.html"><b>Click Here To Enter</b></a></p>

</BODY>

</noframes>

</frameset>

</html>

I see the same when I right click on the page in the browser and select "View Source". Is that frameset being added by the browser or the host server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say it is the hosting servers default page, then the clients 'page' is being added by the server when the site is downloaded.

This used to be a common practice, back in the late 90's early 00's, most common though when someone was hosting all clients on their server, but trying to give the impression that each client had their own server space, (charge all clients individually, but only pay for one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paula, I think you might be on to something. The site is hosted at Webmasters.com - know anything about them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only know what can be found doing a Google search, and checking out their site, but a hosting/design/development service with an average of 2.5 out of 5, does not sound too good.

I also did a view source for a few of their hosted sites, and 2 out of 3 I looked at use frames. The VPS client did not have frames, so it looks like a shared hosting 'thing'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Al! Thanks for the reply - I'll check your link right away. I would say the same - this place seems very comfortable to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frames will continue to work in any browser that supports HTML v2-4... i.e. most browsers. There are clear benefits to building in HTML5 but websites are not going to suddenly stop working if they were build in HTML 3 for example.

Regarding your issue, you might have fixed it but no frames here, just a 302 redirect to the index.html file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - that is what breaks me out of the frameset. When I link directly to index.html (using the 302 redirect), the server cannot wrap the page in that frameset. This fixes my issue.

(Edited) Should I make that a 301 redirect instead? Or is there another code that would be more appropriate for the redirect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the server wrapping it in a frame in the first place? Is it some sort of free server that injects ads? No server should do that unless it's part of the service (or is malware).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 301 redirect looks to be the best way for seo, see -

https://moz.com/learn/seo/redirection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Paula - I'll make that change. Thanks.

@BC - I have no answer to that question, and the host is like :"who, me?". But this appears to stop it from happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not normal and there servers could be compromised to inject malware / banners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines