• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

colour appearance after converting to profile

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing some adverts for a newspaper and now I'm ready to send them off. I've converted the artwork to the newspaper's specified colour profile and the hues all now look wrong. Should I adjust them to compensate or will they appear correct when printed at their end?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

For newsprint and other uncoated papers it is important to use the correct profile because the default US Web Coated SWOP profile is designed for coated papers running on a generic web press. There would be a number of problems using SWOP for newsprint—the CMYK color appearance, which is captured by a profile, would be very different on newsprint vs. coated. And maybe more importantly, the total ink allowed would be less for newsprint. If the total combination of a color's CMYK values exceeds th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you delivering to the newspaper? Native InDesign files? PDF? More info, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDFs. What other info would you like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Are you using the newspaper's PDF profile or job options to create the PDF? If so, you should be OK to release the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newspaper provided an ICC profile for me to install in Indesign and I've converted the artwork at the end of the process. So you think I should ignore the strange colours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends. I would ask for a PDF Preset, which includes more specific instructions than simply an ICC profile. After loading their preset you should be safe to generate an acceptable PDF.

Also, is your monitor generally faithful, color-wise? Has it ever been hardware calibrated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photosynthesize  wrote

The newspaper provided an ICC profile for me to install in Indesign and I've converted the artwork at the end of the process. So you think I should ignore the strange colours?

The question is HOW did you convert to the NP's ICC profile?

And the other question that I would ask myself in this: Why are they not using a standard ICC profile?

And the third question I want to ask you: Is your workflow calibrated?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to the company but given the way things are run I would be astonished if my monitor had ever been calibrated.

When creating the artwork I used the generic CMYK profile in Indesign that I usually use. When I was ready to send it out, I converted to the ICC profile in Indesign by going to Edit/convert to profile, and I also selected that profile under output when exporting to PDF. I don't know if that was right or not, I was going on other guidance I'd found online.

I can't answer questions about why a newspaper might use certain colour profiles though I'm afraid, I don't know enough about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For newsprint and other uncoated papers it is important to use the correct profile because the default US Web Coated SWOP profile is designed for coated papers running on a generic web press. There would be a number of problems using SWOP for newsprint—the CMYK color appearance, which is captured by a profile, would be very different on newsprint vs. coated. And maybe more importantly, the total ink allowed would be less for newsprint. If the total combination of a color's CMYK values exceeds the total ink allowed there will be drying problems on press. The total ink for SWOP is 300%, but it would be around 220%-240% for newsprint.

Ideally you should have assigned the newsprint profile to your document when it was created, rather than working with SWOP and converting at export. Converting from one CMYK space to another can create a number of problems, most notably black text might convert to 4-colors, which would create registration issues.

Assigning the newsprint profile to the document from the start will soft proof the newsprint color limitations as you build the CMYK colors. The accuracy of the soft proof depends on both the system's monitor profile and the newsprint CMYK profile.

If you use the default SWOP you will get an unrealistic preview of what is possible on newsprint. Images should be converted directly from RGB to the newsprint profile rather than from RGB to SWOP to Newsprint. The conversion can be done in Photoshop or the images can be left as RGB and converted on export to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked on a few forums before I started and read in two instances that I shouldn't convert my working space, but convert at the end, so that was the advice I followed in the end. But I didn't really understand that advice and yours makes more sense. I'll do the whole thing using the newspaper profile next time. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be they were referring to placed RGB images and not the document CMYK profile.

There is a strong case for placing RGB images in your document with the newsprint CMYK profile assigned. You'll want to leave Overprint Preview turned on so you can see how they will eventually get converted. When you export the PDF you can set the destination as Document CMYK (your assigned newsprint profile) and the RGB images will be converted directly into the newsprint CMYK space while the CMYK colors will export unchanged. This makes the RGB-to-CMYK1-to-CMYK2 problem less likely.

But with newsprint you will get more color shifting on the conversion from RGB to newsprint CMYK, so there is a case to be made for making the conversion in Photoshop or at least turning on Proof Colors when you color correct so you can see the expected change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this stuff hard to get my head round. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What profile are they recommending?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ISOnewspaper26v4 (IFRA26 Max TAC 240)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines