• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I delete everything outside of a clipping mask?

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to set some files up for print by ganging them up on one sheet of material. I am working with supplied artwork that has a clipping mask around it. The issue I'm running into is the artwork outside of the clipping mask is giving me this error:

"Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects fall completely off the drawing area."

How can I completely delete everything outside of the clipping mask, without altering the artwork inside the clipping mask? I have already tried other suggestions, such as Object>Expand, and then using the Pathfinder to Crop... But that won't work. Nor will the Erase tool.

Please help! How this isn't a standard feature by now is beyond me. This isn't the first time I'm running into this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Could try

Transparency Panel  change blending mode to another eg multiply

then

Edit > Flatten transparency

and set balance to 100% vector

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That mainly depends on the contents of the clipping mask (what different kind of objects does it contain?).

It may be possible or not. Or just partiallly.

Can you share a sample .ai file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could try

Transparency Panel  change blending mode to another eg multiply

then

Edit > Flatten transparency

and set balance to 100% vector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could rasterize the file in Photoshop and then crop the image down to the clipping mask edges. You could also place the image into InDesign and only show the area desired. Both of these options are to get it to print now. It will not change the originating file.

If you have to edit the original, then I revert to Kurt's question about what is in the clipping mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerome,

1) In the Transparency palette/panel dropdown list select anything but Normal (Multiply is fine; this step may be unneeded in your version, you may try without it);

2) Object>Flatten Transparency, just keep the defaults including 100% Vector;

3) Shudder (optional, unless unavoidable).

This will crop everything to the Clipping Path (or to its Bounding Box in case of raster images), with the possible exception of some empty paths, remnants of the pattern tiles that have been cut to fit the Clipping Path, or something similar; if there are such paths, you may:

4) With the Direct Selection Tool, Click an empty spot to deselect, then ClickDrag along and outwards from each side of the former Clipping Path and press Delete (twice) to get (completely) rid of the empty paths;

With this, everything should be cleaned up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the initial request, I assumed that "without altering the artwork inside the clipping mask" would be a crucial requirement …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite, Kurt, and I thought whether it was a literal requirement, or it might mean "without altering the appearance of the artwork inside the clipping mask", then decided to go for the latter.

I wonder how close we are to the equivalent of Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great assumption, Kurt. You should be a detective!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My real name is John Steed.

At least British people may remember me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was meant to be a secret, John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything outside the mask is secret, but not my real name, Dr. King.

(Mrs Peel told me that King is your real name)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, Ray and Jacob. The Flatten Transparency option worked the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Jerome.

Referring to Kurt the detective, on closer inspection you may find that there are alterations to your artwork (such as outlining of stroked paths, destroying/turning them into filled paths).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol yeah, I noticed.

That's fine though; for this particular artwork, it doesn't matter if the paths are filled or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerome,

Another thought: if the real issue is this,

"Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects fall completely off the drawing area."

rather than an actual need for deletion of invisible parts, the issue may be caused by something that may be found far away from the Clipping Mask and easily dealt with. Ctrl/Cmd+A may give a clue. There may also be something related to Guides, I believe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I did is rasterized the contents then cropped. This only works if you do not plan on manipulating the image. But it does save a lot of file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines