• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to access a duplicate pin if it's under another one?

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two pins that are sitting on top of eachother, due to duplicating. Moving them is not ideal as they are custom shapes.

The bottom one can only be adjusted if I move the top one out of the way, then have to move it back.

Although originally a duplicate, the strokes and adjustments are different between the two pins.

Is there a way to make both pins accessible? either by:

- moving the pin without moving the strokes (or vice versa)

- a keyboard shortcut to toggle, cycle through all the pins

- a way to select the desired pin - like ctrl-right click in photoshop for choosing layers

or some other method.

At the moment my option is to either remake one of the adjustment brushes, or two move them and try to realign manually by eye every time i wish to make a change. But I'm hoping for future I can learn if there's a simple solution to this?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is such a way, but until I get home later today and fire up Lightroom, I can't be sure, or even tell you what the solution is. But I have also created duplicates of brushes and filters, and I don't remember this specific issue happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to hear, I look forward to hopefully hearing from you! Although I just looked through the lightroom shortcut list and didn't see anything in there about it.

Keyboard shortcuts for Lightroom Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I don't see any way to access the bottom pin unless you move the top one. Which brings up the question why you would want two or more different brushes of the exact same shape in the exact same location — wouldn't one brush accomplish the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into it. Oh well, just one of those things.

Nope they're slightly different, but the duplicate used the original shape as a starting point to brush a subsection of the already painted area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

Okay, I don't see any way to access the bottom pin unless you move the top one. Which brings up the question why you would want two or more different brushes of the exact same shape in the exact same location — wouldn't one brush accomplish the same thing?

Not always. Some Local Adjustments parameters can be applied cumulatively with multiple overlaid filters. So for instance, if +100% Sharpening doesn't do it for you, try 200% or 300%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But surely sharpening as you just described it doesn't require the pins to be EXACTLY on top of one another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't require it. But duplicating a brush means they are already on top of eachother. If you've drawn a complex shape, having to redraw it from scratch just to have offset pins is a bit tedious. It's easier to just move the top one then move it back carefullly. But if all you're doing is doubling up an effect, as describe  by ellie, then you may not need to access the underneath pin unless you wish to make significant changes.

Either way, this is something that comes up from time to time in my own edits, and it's a shame that there isn't a toggle, or some kind of workflow implementation.

An example: Brush A: Full person matte, Brush B: Clone brush A, erase sections not needed, perhaps Just leaving a t-shirt for colour changing. To me, having subsections of a matte would seem like a common workflow. It could Foreground as one matte, then individual foreground elements cloned from that original matte.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also find this to be an issue when you want to have one edit on the entire brushed area, and then another edit on the same brushed area but then with a luminance or color range mask applied on it. I want to be able to duplicate the brush and then individually select each one to make changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact issue where I want to be able to stack several radial filters. It would be a huge improvement if there was a keyboard shortcut to cycle through the adjustment pins in each of the various adjustment tools. Is there a way to more prominently ask for this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An upcoming product change, previewed by Adobe recently, is promised to allow your local adjustment entities (brush / radial / gradient) to be managed in some new ways - as well as, to be named.

So I suggest waiting for that LrC version to arrive: it is IMO unlikely that Adobe will now invest more development effort, into the current way of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old issue, but I will make a reccomendation.

Click on one pin, move the pin slightly . Tyically a pin does not need to be in an exact spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really is inconvenient to select the pins if they are even close together, or to even notice that you have duplicated pins and there are others underneath in the first place. That there is not a way to be aware of or navigate between these pins is terrible UX, in my opinion. I'm frankly surprised that there is not a way to cycle through the various adjustments pins already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

With this update the masking panel eliminates the need to select pins on the image. 

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

v11 masking will solve this for you.

P.S. stumbled upon the following video on the new masking, long but worth it, carve out some time to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

After watching this, check out the latest massive updates here: PEOPLE MASKING & MORE! What's new in Lightroom October 2022 https://youtu.be/uLJBqS9g4O0 Welcome to the world-exclusive first LIGHTROOM MASKING TUTORIAL! A massive update to the Adobe Lightroom suite of apps (and Adobe Camera Raw) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines