• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimize for CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking at upgrading from CS6 to CC 2018. We are running on Dell 7010s i5 with 16 gigs of Ram running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. A couple users who have already moved to CC 2018 have reported slowness opening pages and performing tasks since upgrading. Sometimes the program just stops responding.

My question is what precautions can we take to ensure the rest of the department doesn't get bogged down with these slowness issues? What can we do to optimize the computers to run CC 2018. They more than meet the requirements but we see the issues anyway. We see it in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator but they mostly use InDesign.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

OK. You want an “Adobe response” although others gave you perfectly fine advice, here goes…

The most important factors for running the latest versions of Adobe's CC applications (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) are:

(1)     Disk speed. Totally forget about rotating magnetic platters other than for backup purposes. First choice are SSDs using an M.2 interface (most new computers provide either one or two sockets for such “drives.” Second choice are SSDs using SATA-3 connections, totally compa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the answer I need, sorry. I know the requirements and as I said these PCs more than meet them. They still see dramatic slowness since upgrading to CC 2018. I was looking for assistance in optimizing them for CC 2018 and preventing the slowdowns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listen to Bob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buy new machines! Those are horribly underpowered and slowness is hardly surprising.

The requirement will allow you to install and launch the application but you’ll never be happy with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, we're not wanting to spend another $50,000 on equipment in addition to the Adobe licensing. If it were a couple artists we could, but not a whole department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My answer stands. Those are cheap low end machines running an archaic operating system. They're designed for basic office work not high end creative applications.

There's nothing much you could do with them with the exception of popping solid state harddrives in there. That would at least speed up any disk intensive operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SSD harddisks are the most important accelerators with Creative Cloud Software. The system abd the program need to stay on SSD drives!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that was our first thought. We are currently testing with one of the users with an SSD. She has seen general improvements in speed, but I was looking for Adobe's recommendations of what would be helpful in optimizing older machines like these for CC 2018. I appreciate all the answers and hope Adobe will chime in with further helpful suggestions.

Asking the department manager to cough up $50,000 more would make for an interesting test of his blood pressure management, but I like my job and want to avoid that at all costs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a really great and expensive workstation without ssd and less recent machines with ssd. The beat the ssd-missing stations by length, even that the CPU works slower. Starting Indesign is very slow on the high end machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last time: Replace the machines! Feel free to point your boss to this thread.

Those machines were low end when you bought them. I know you don’t find this helpful, but there is absolutely nothing you can do with those machines beyond the SSD and honestly, that is not going to help with the processor or the lack of enough RAM (I’d recommend new machine with Eighth gen i7 processors and 32 GB or RAM with dedication graphics cards.

Other than that…it’s your blood pressure that’s going to suffer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Belive or not Bob, the SSD makes the difference, all other components stay the same. I have prolongated the lifespawn of my laptop by years simply in uprading to a SSD.

But I agree with you, somewhere there will be the point of change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m well aware of the boost that an SSD can make. I have one in my desktop and laptop. Just put one in my daughter’s 4-year old laptop that she was thinking about replacing but high software requires high end hardware and while the SSDs and clean installs of Windows 10 Pro (forget Windows 7) will certainly speed things up, that processor and lack of RAM is going to be a bit of a bottle neck with multiple applications open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pcitstaff​ should hire you as his manager.

16GB is quite OK, except if you are doing the real high end stuff. Windows 7 is a corporate decision. You simply do not change 20 guys to Windows 10, just for the fun of it. We have 1500 users and are on Windows 7 until the day, IT switches. My 5 Adobe CC licenses are not the decisive factor.

I agree with you, the best hardware is better. More RAM is better. A great processor is better.

But the single piece of hardware that will accelerate old systems is the SSD. I know it. I, however, do not give a guarantee that it works out fine. I just say, the systems I have upgraded until now, are working quite well. I need to say, however, that all my personal systems, I configure, are working better then the ones, my overpaid IT configures for me and my people at work.

I agree with you, best solution is to upgrade the systems. If you have a bunch of them, you can afford doing the adequate testings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. You want an “Adobe response” although others gave you perfectly fine advice, here goes…

The most important factors for running the latest versions of Adobe's CC applications (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) are:

(1)     Disk speed. Totally forget about rotating magnetic platters other than for backup purposes. First choice are SSDs using an M.2 interface (most new computers provide either one or two sockets for such “drives.” Second choice are SSDs using SATA-3 connections, totally compatible with most existing serial disk connectors. Your operating system, software, and data files should all be on such disks.

(2)     Memory. 16GB is absolute minimum, but I would recommend 32GB. Note that this implies that you are running 64-bit versions of Windows 10 Pro. The CC application installation will automatically install the 64-bit versions of the applications. Note that modern systems have memory that is vastly higher performance than that from even three to five years ago. You want at least DDR-4 memory (there is also DDR-5 memory available on some high-end systems).

Other factors to consider:

(3)     Processor.  Although not as big a factor as disk speed and memory, a recent vintage Intel Core i7 (currently on 8th generation) processor will help. (Note that one way to speed up InDesign is to globally turn off the dynamic preflight feature. It is a tremendous CPU hog; only use it on-demand if necessary).

(4)     Video Card. Most low end systems do come with built-in Intel video support and GPU. However, such video support is really insufficient if you are driving anything beyond standard HD screens. Mid-range NVIDIA or AMD Radeon video cards will really help if you are driving anything beyond standard HD such as 4K or greater screens. They also provide GPU support that especially assists with Photoshop work.

You didn't say how many “systems” you need to replace, but you can get a hell of a lot of desktop system meeting the above specifications for under $2000! And I am not talking about junk, but Lenovo ThinkCentre and similar systems, custom configured.

And if you don't have the freedom or funds to replace, upgrades to SSDs and increasing memory are the items that will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Windows 7 Pro was and continues to be an excellent base to run Adobe applications on. Thus, if you are keeping existing systems successfully running 64-bit Windows 7, I would absolutely not muck around trying to migrate to Windows 10. It won't buy you much if anything for use with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat.

Hopefully this information meets your needs as an Adobe response.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is what I need. Thanks to all for the input, especially the point about dynamic preflight feature. That's the kind of thing I was looking for, along with the SSDs. I will look into the suggestions and give the boss my recommendations. They will do what their money handlers will allow. Most likely SSDs for starters. I'm sure they will go for the hardware upgrades at some point in the future, but being bound by our budgets forces to make difficult choices.

Thanks All!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck in begging for and acquiring your SSD upgrades. Please let us know how it works out.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe have a preferred SSD to recommend? My boss wants to know and wants to make sure we get what Adobe approves of.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe makes no official recommendations as to SSD brands. We neither approve nor disapprove of any particular SSD products.

That having been said, we have not heard of any particular issues with Adobe products due to variances between SSD brands.

(In my own personal experience, the SSDs used in Apple's Macintosh products, Lenovo's Think products - ThinkPads, ThinkCentres, ThinkStations, HP products, and Dell products are much more reliable and longer lasting than any rotating magnetic disk drives!)

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case it matters, I’ve used this one in several machines: https://amzn.to/2uDPDHH

Those machines are screaming fast and I’ve had no issues with them. 500GB for $125 or so is a terrific deal.

You can look at Crucial SSDs as well. I’ve used them in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 Machines. My office workstation as configured by our IT, now a year old, runs Windows 7.

• Nvidea QUADRO graphics card

Great stuff! but no SSD (a sin with such a machine). The whole system starts frustrating slow, all Adobe programs start even slower. The worst experience you can get, if you need to start your programs often.

My 4 year machine at home uses standard consumer equipment (yes, it's a i7 processor), a consumer NVIDEA graphics card, 16 Gb of memory but an SSD system drive. It works like an hourglass. I'm running Windows 10 at home.

I agree, it's quite better then your current config, but my experience shows that from all components you can tweak, an SSD is the best option to get a faster user experience.

And just to say, my standard is having Id, Ps, Ai and Acrobat and 2 or three helper programs started, besides mail, browser, may be Word and/or Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines