Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when I use Data merge to create multiple records in InDesign, it shifts all images to the top left. Anyone know if there's a way to auto center the images?

ScreenHunter 36.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Here's the best video I've ever seen about Data Merge: http://www.theindesigner.com/podcasts/tid43_theindesigner_43.mp4

It was produce by Michael Murphy, who now works for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Forum comments to InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Multiple Record Layout dialog, click the Options tab choose Content Placement options:

Merge data to create form letters, envelopes, or mailing labels in Adobe InDesign

Content placement options

The following options appear in the Content Placement Options dialog box:

Fit Images Proportionally

Maintains the image’s aspect ratio but scales the image to fit within the frame (default).

Fit Images To Frames

Scales the image so that its aspect ratio is identical to the frame’s aspect ratio.

Fit Frames To Images

Preserves the image size but adjusts the frame size to match it.

Preserve Frame And Image Sizes

Places the image at its intrinsic size into the frame, aligned to the upper-left corner of the frame. The image is cropped if too large for the frame.

Fill Frames Proportionally

Places the image so that its height or width fills the frame, leaving the rest of the image cropped.

Center In Frame

Aligns the center of the image to the center of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's answer is referring to the alignment of variable images during a merge. A visual reference can be found here: https://colecandoo.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/framefit.pdf

Looking at your post, it appears that you want the merged multiple record results themselves (not just the images) to appear aligned based on the centre of your page. This is controlled in the Multiple Record Layout tab of the Create Merged Document dialog box during a data merge, specifically the margins panel.

Yes, it always merges with the first graphic (and subsequent graphics based upon this) to the top left.

I'm guessing this centering is being done for imposition purposes? If so, there may be better ways to accomplish this task.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the best video I've ever seen about Data Merge: http://www.theindesigner.com/podcasts/tid43_theindesigner_43.mp4

It was produce by Michael Murphy, who now works for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines