• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Authorities

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create a Table of Authorities in InDesign?  This function automatically creates a long list of State statutes (drawn from a 200-page book on public policy) in one column, ordered alphanumerically, with each statute's corresponding page numbers opposite these statutes. This is similar to an Index, and is located at the end of the book.  It should be organized separately from the Index, under a separate heading entitled "Table of Authorities", just as Microsoft Word does it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

You can:

• Put in a feature request at User Voice: Adobe InDesign Feedback
  • Use the Index feature
  • Search to see if someone has written a script or possibly hire a scripter to write a script for you, assuming it can be done by scripting. I don't know, as I am not a scripter, but someone else may chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you noted, Anthony, that is a feature found in Word, but it is not part of InDesign. Does this document also have a traditional index? If not, I'd approach it using the index commands. Add the index markers for the statues (the wording can differ in the marker from the actual text in the document) and of course, change the title from Index to Table of Authorities.

Alternatively, you could create the ToA in Word, place the text and then update the page numbers via X-refs, but that's going to be more work.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may work for Statutes.

But......I have a draft book with hundreds of citations, and all of the case citations in the text showing as A v. B, date. In the Table of Authorities  A v. B, date is written out in long form as the correct legal citation.

If I tediously mark every short form entry in the text as an index term (an appalling prospect by itself), how do I get Word to produce the table showing the long form citation, not the short form in the text?

Does anyone know of a way to convert a table of authorities in Word into an Index?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julia:

If I tediously mark every short form entry in the text as an index term (an appalling prospect by itself), how do I get Word to produce the table showing the long form citation, not the short form in the text?

Does anyone know of a way to convert a table of authorities in Word into an Index?

I would like to encourage you to ask these questions on the Microsoft forum. You asking on the Adobe InDesign forum, and that is where our expertise lies. Different product from a different company.

Results in Office - Microsoft Community

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted there as well. The suggested answer to use indexing in

Word is not workable for my situation.

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,

ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,

ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified

Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

[personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So … 2 index!

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can:

• Put in a feature request at User Voice: Adobe InDesign Feedback
  • Use the Index feature
  • Search to see if someone has written a script or possibly hire a scripter to write a script for you, assuming it can be done by scripting. I don't know, as I am not a scripter, but someone else may chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best place to look for a scripter is our companion InDesign Scripting forum:

InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines