• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE issue - activating 3D layer capability disables Stencil Alpha

Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a map of the Roman Empire that I would like to animate with a 3D flyover. I know that for this I need to add a camera to the scene and give all layers the 3D Layer aspect. But doing so disables Stencil Alpha which is a huge problem. I used a shape layer to trace out the Roman Empire in red. My map consists of only land and the blue project background for the ocean.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.37.37 PM.jpg

The "land" layer is the beige area. So making the land "Stencil Alpha" allows me to color ONLY the land area red.  

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.24.26 PM.jpg

But as soon as the land layer has 3D enabled this is what happens: the exact opposite of what I wish to display. The ocean is colored red and the land has no red.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.38.37 PM.jpg

There must be a way to do this, but I'm completely stumped. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me resolve this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple answer: Pre-compose. You need to try and understand how AE's rendering pipeline actually works and how it is affected by layer switches and all that stuff. Trying to do everything in a single comp seldom gives the result you want.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium and thank you for your help. I tried pre-composing but it's not helping. Within the pre-comp none of my layers have 3D activated. After precomposing, I turn on 3d and add a camera. But as soon as 3D is activated on the precomposed layer, I suffer a resolution hit. It seems to be an either or situation - either keep the high resolution and stay in 2D or go 3D and see my map pixelated and my stencil alpha reversed.  I'm looking for tutorials but haven't found any yet regarding my issue. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know you do not have transparency enabled, right?  So that blue background that you think you have is for preview purposes only and is going to render black.  Of course once you enable transparency and set up a proper background you may discover that Stencil Alpha is not the way you want to go.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines