• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add a stroke only on the bottom of a table

Enthusiast ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to avoid overrides in my table styles. The style is alternating shading in the table rows: none, and a pal tint. There are no strokes. When the last row end up with a fill of none, it is hard to tell where the table ends. I want to have a stroke only on the bottom edge of the table. That is something that can be part of a table style in Adobe FrameMaker. Is it possible to make it part of a table style in InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not create a Cell Style for that?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are multiple tables with different numbers of rows. If I create a cell style that can be part of a table style, then either it would have to be a header style (don't want that because only want the stroke at the bottom of the table), a body cell style (don't want that because it would apply to all body cells), or it could be a footer cell style. The footer cell style would work, but each time the table is updated from Excel, and this happens a lot, I would have to manually make the last row a footer row.

I'm trying to make the workflow as efficient as possible, so I want to avoid manually applying cell styles or manually converting rows from body to footer.

Maybe it is just not possible to build it into the table style to have a stroke only at the bottom of the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the only way is to define the style for the Footer row. All others don't give the needed look. You can search for a suitable script to set the last row as Footer. Or you can select the table and use Table Options dialog to set 1 footer in "Headers and Footers" section. This might be a bit faster than convert the certain row in each table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It s so simple to add a "table end stroke", especially when its color is the same as the color used in an "ColorX/no-Color" sample!

Capture d’écran 2018-07-14 à 17.25.12.png

… What is really cool is that is totally automatic! … Clue: Table Style Settings.

I let you finish!

Time to prepare Pizzas before the final of the Football World Cup France-Croatia! …

Best,

Michel, for FRIdNGE

Michel, for FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/jay+fresno  wrote

… The footer cell style would work, but each time the table is updated from Excel, and this happens a lot, I would have to manually make the last row a footer row. …

Hi Jay,

don't think you have to manually do something to the footer row after updating from Excel.

Just add a cell style to the footer row in your layout. Of course also set that cell style as style for the footer in your table style definitions.

Also see this thread here where it turned out, that applying the cell style directly to the cells of the footer row was a valid workaround: InDesign - external table update issue with footer

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The footer cell style would work, but each time the table is updated from Excel, and this happens a lot, I would have to manually make the last row a footer row.

A limitation of InDesign's Table Styles is the limit to define only 5 different things: Header, Footer, Body, Left Column, and Right Column. Yet another limitation of Table Styles is the need to re-tinker whenever you update the spreadsheet data, especially since the excel spreadsheet has to have the header and footer re-nominated with every refresh. FrameMaker was a pleasure compared to these annoyances. I suppose by now you have learned to look for the dreaded + sign after the Cell Style None in order to clean up extraneous attributes?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines