• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Empty" CR2 files replacing full size.

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a raw file archive of full resolution CR2's, roughly 350GB worth in over 18k files. I use LR Classic CC for catalogue and editing, PhotoMechanic for culling and rating. Last night I was going through culling some old stuff in PhotoMechanic and came to some CR2 files it could not read.  I explored the folder with said files and they were radically smaller in size than the rest of the shots in that group, around 2 MB at the largest many at under 500K.  They still have the thumbnail picture, and can be edited in LR but are obviously hideously low-res.  Photoshop doesn't even recognize the files anymore.  They all still have the .cr2 extension, but all meteadata has been stripped from file. Some of these are files that I've edited at full quality no less than a month ago with no problems.  This happens fairly randomly, some shoots just have a few shots corrupted, other shoots are completely compromised or utterly untouched. I keep up to date on LR, PS and ACR updates through the CC app, so nothing is ever really out of date there.

I have a couple theories as to what may have caused it, but nothing  that feels really likely

#1 Google photo backup (no synch) - I have set to "high quality" rather than original so they don't affect my storage total there. Could google have downsized and replaced ny originals somehow? (Although GoogPhoto filesizes differ from my local "corrupted" files.

#2 Lightroom decided to delete the full resolution pic and metadata and only left the preview portion of the file. (Don't think LR ever modifies actual image files, just stores changes in catalogue(.lrcat) and .xmp sidecars) [LR did crash recently while processing something, but nothing that was affecting so many random files]

3# Virus - Found 1 questionable file, but no active threats (yet, running another full scan with other AV softwr)

4# HDD - newish 4TB hdd, makes strange noises sometimes but nothing else on drive has issues, none of the JPG's in my archive are affected.

#5 Windows - Because Windows...   (Always a possibility, but I just reinstalled windows 10 fresh about a month ago so...)

Kind of at my wits end.  I have a second backup on a disconnected drive, hopefully my damaged files are safe there, not sure if I had recently backed up some of the affected files so that sucks. Don't want to hook it up untill I'm sure it  isn't a virus.

Running Windows 10 64bit pro, Intel i5 3.0GHz, 16gb ram, GEForce 1050ti

Anyone else run in to this or have any helpful suggestions I'm all ears.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

You apparently loaded and saved that file is Picasa at some time or another and Picasa just saved a Lo-Res JPG file but kept the cr2 extension.  I never have used Picasa but I am sure Canon doesn't place the word Picasa in the file header.  As ​dj_paige has said, I am sure Lightroom didn't do this either.

From top of file

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 5.28.20 PM.jpg

From Lightroom Exif panel showing Picasa was used to modify the file.

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 5.25.19 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first impression is that when you get  corrupted files, that were fine on your computer a month ago, this is a hardware problem somewhere. There's really no such thing as a CR2 file that is under 2MB in size. And no software could produce such a CR2 file.

You say that this is a new HD, but sometimes new hardware malfunctions. I would definitely run diagnostics on it; and also make sure you have backups of the originals on a different disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try that, thank you. And I do have backups (of most, at least).  What makes me think it is not the hdd is that these are 'legit' .cr2 files that show up as images and can be double clicked and open in Windows Photo viewer, here is a link to one from my dropbox - a nice 263kb 4752x3168 .CR2 file (not even possible, I know!).  I've even been able to re-import these into LR and the dimensions are correct. I've also exported the image to high res jpg which results in a 880k image at the same dimensions, WITH the metadata from the cr2 which is still somehow found in LR on a fresh import of this stripped file.  (And both of these files are now on a seperate drive I've never had issues on, and are still reporting sub 500k sizes - so not a hdd issue? Could windows just be misreporting filesize? But if I edit the newly imported cr2 file from the good drive I get histogram banding that you see when you edit a compressed image (png below), so it definitely is lower reso than OG uncorrupted file.

Dropbox - IMG_7376.CR2

Dropbox - IMG_7376.jpg

Dropbox - Screenshot 2018-07-14 13.11.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These may be a JPG preview that is being displayed, but it is not a RAW file, which cannot be that small.

And both of these files are now on a seperate drive I've never had issues on, and are still reporting sub 500k sizes - so not a hdd issue?

If they were corrupted on a bad drive, then moving them to a good drive will not "un-corrupt" them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, changing the extension on the cr2 to jpg does indeed work, so yeah, looks like the preview part of the CR2 files are all that remain from whatever destroyed them.  Still don't think its hardware though, all the jpgs on the same drive are fine, all other files are fine.  I don't know of any hardware failure that randomly affects 1 specific filetype that accounts for less than 10% of the data on this drive, while simultaneously culling data selctively from said files rather than just corrupting the data.  No, this is SW. Not sure what software is the culprit, but these files have definitely been MODIFIED somehow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MellinHead  wrote

I don't know of any hardware failure that randomly affects 1 specific filetype that accounts for less than 10% of the data on this drive

Bad sectors on a drive can do this, the .CR2 files that were corrupted were in this bad sector. No other files were there.

We have seen other corruption due to hardware where the embedded JPG in the file is fine, but the RAW is unusable.

No, this is SW.

Nonsense, no software modifies the image portions of .CR2 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

We have seen other corruption due to hardware where the embedded JPG in the file is fine, but the RAW is unusable.

It seems to be the rule rather than the exception that the jpg previews are unaffected by hardware corruption.

Over the years I have seen a lot of posts about corrupted raw files, and I can't remember a single one where the jpg previews were corrupted.

Nonsense, no software modifies the image portions of .CR2 files.

I agree. For all I know there may be some specialized software that can do this, but you would have to deliberately open the raw files in that application to modify them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to relink it after I changing the extension back & forth.

Dropbox - IMG_7376.cr2

edit:Apparently it doesn't preview in dropbox, but it gives a dialogue box to open it locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You apparently loaded and saved that file is Picasa at some time or another and Picasa just saved a Lo-Res JPG file but kept the cr2 extension.  I never have used Picasa but I am sure Canon doesn't place the word Picasa in the file header.  As ​dj_paige has said, I am sure Lightroom didn't do this either.

From top of file

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 5.28.20 PM.jpg

From Lightroom Exif panel showing Picasa was used to modify the file.

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 5.25.19 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, wow. I did not see that. nice find. 

This really nails it for me.  I had a feeling that google backup and synch was possibly the culprit.

I reloaded my machine after installing the new HDD and migrating my archive to it. Google photos reloaded all these images in duplicate and I think it synched the lower quality photos to my computer for whatever stupid google reason.  I did have an issue a few weeks ago where LR wanted to import a bunch of files that were already in its catalogue, I checked the files it wanted to import but didnt check the file sizes, these must be them. 

So, google smashed it up, LR covered it up =D    SW issue, my HDD is fine, I'll still run that diagnostic jic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines