Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving folder from internal storage to NAS fails

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Since 2012 I have been using internal storage with LR, and then this past few weeks I setup a QNAP NAS (TS-453BT3) and migrated my data over last night.

So far, this looks like it will work out but when I tried to move a folder of images from my internal storage to the NAS (within LR, drag and drop from Macintosh HD to Photos/xyz on the NAS), the photos and folder is moved, along with the meta data, but the progress bar remains at the end for hours and hours (even if is just 1 photo).   It is finished but something is stopping LR to actually finish.  I tested moving photos from the NAS to internal storage and that worked fine.  NAS to NAS moves are fast and work well.  It's only from internal to NAS.   This can turn into a problem every time I go out, come back with new images on my local drive and then move the photos out to my NAS...

Any ideas of suggestions would be helpful..thank you

PS- Connecting over SMB via TB3 (2017 MBP)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

johnrellis  wrote

There have been very infrequent but persistent reports over the years of bulk moves in LR losing files:

Lightroom: Moving files, resulted in deleting the files | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Above is an issue that has been around since the earliest days off Lr, and so far as I'm aware Adobe has made little, if any, attempt to fix. Also, worth mentioning that back in the day, I was told that only 'limited' error checking is carried out as part of the move precess.

There wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option is to do the move with Finder and then in LR, right-click the now-missing folder and do Find Missing Folder. This is what some of us long-time users do as a matter of course whenever we're moving larger numbers of photos. There have been very infrequent but persistent reports over the years of bulk moves in LR losing files:

Lightroom: Moving files, resulted in deleting the files | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis  wrote

There have been very infrequent but persistent reports over the years of bulk moves in LR losing files:

Above is an issue that has been around since the earliest days off Lr, and so far as I'm aware Adobe has made little, if any, attempt to fix. Also, worth mentioning that back in the day, I was told that only 'limited' error checking is carried out as part of the move precess.

There was also a time when large scale files moves carried out within Lr was extremely slow. This aspect has seen improvements in recent times, as has support for working across a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Ian and John, both of your answers are helpful and appreciate your time in responding.  I prefer to move my files around within Finder anyway, so this is how I will proceed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines