• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Virtual Copies in Lightroom CC 2018 (not classic), how?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I make virtual copies in new Lr CC 2018?

I can do copies of a picture, but not in the same folder, only to other folders...

Who can help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

You can select a photo and right-click; then choose to make a copy. When sync completes it should be possible to drag the new copy into any album in Lr CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select a photo and right-click; then choose to make a copy. When sync completes it should be possible to drag the new copy into any album in Lr CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this means that there are no Virtual Copies in LR CC only copies which in themselves are actual image files in storage?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is correct. In most situations the copy will be a smart preview unless the original is stored locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 99jon,

Just wanted to clarify that. I've just migrated my Classic catalogue over to Lightroom CC, and have kept my system setup with full local storage. I'm a bit puzzled by how the copies system works here.

I have seen in my local library file that any copies are a complete full duplicate file, with a '-2' appended to the name.

Do you know if that only applies to the local copy, or does the full extra copy get uploaded to the cloud space as well?

A bit wasteful if that's the case.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndyHewitt  wrote

Do you know if that only applies to the local copy, or does the full extra copy get uploaded to the cloud space as well?

A bit wasteful if that's the case.

A full extra copy is uploaded to the cloud. If using Lr Classic and original already exists in the Classic catalog then a Virtual Copy will be created rather then downloading a physical copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, in which case I'd hope they can develop the virtual copies feature into Lr CC quickly - a lot of 'copies' for versioning purposes can add up to quite a bit of extra storage consumption.

Not sure I understand the second part of that, I presume that's in case of those using LR CC and Classic with syncing?

In my case I have migrated to the LR CC 1TB only package, so I have disconnected Classic from my syncing processes. LR CC is working as a standalone system now.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

ok after finished sync, I can copy a picture with rightclick.

But now I see two identical pictures in filmstrip, but I can not differ it. No new filename are shown. What is the source???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to make LR CC usable, it is imperative to develop the notion of virtual copy and recording development snapshots so that we can quickly save space and especially have all the developments accessible under the original RAW in case where I open it in CameraRaw or as a dynamic object in PS CC 2019 or later.

S.v.p. listen to your customers!

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines