Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VSCO film pack preset profiles missing after Lightroom 7.3 upgrade

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My workflow is based on VSCO Film Pack Presets. These are well-known presets but indeed, VSCO is based on a combination of presets and camera color profiles to achieve their manner to render pictures.

VSCO Camera profiles seems to be broken or ignored by the last Lightroom upgrade.

Before 7.3 upgrade of Lightroom, when I apply a VSCO preset, the preset will automatically 1/change the camera profile applied to the photo, 2/ tweak some sliders.

After 7.3 upgrade, Lightroom is complaining that the VSCO camera profiles are missing. When I try to apply again a VSCO preset, LR still complains that VSCO camera profile is missing. If i search in the new menu for Camera Profiles at the top of the Edit module, all the VSCO Camera profiles are missing.

Can you please tell me how to fix this ?

Capture d’écran 2018-04-05 à 10.45.44.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

You should be able to manually edit the preset (simple text editor is sufficient) to point to your preferred folder. From what I can see on my presets it's only the folder name that's listed not the full path. So, editing the preset is relatively easy. Even so, it's worth making a backup copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that your VSCO profiles are in the wrong location. Below is guidance published by Adobe on release day. Hopefully, it solves your issue.

DCP profiles (such as those created by XRite Passport, the Adobe DNG Profile Creator, as well as 3rd parties like VSCO, RNI, etc.) will all need to go into the user profile location:

Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

Windows: C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the above problem, but only with a small amount of my VSCO profiles, most are just fine.

I have double checked and they are all in the correct folder structure for my Mac running 10.13.4.  I also have the problem that every timeI launch Lightroom it tries to convert my presets and rename them.  Every time is does this it fails and says," the following presets could not be renamed" and then it lists all the VSCO presets.

My two other machines running 10.12.6 do not have this problem and I don't want Lightroom renaming anything!

I guess thats what I get for updating too soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ian. At first blush, moving the profiles (.dcp) to that location does not make a difference. However, if you change to a working profile, and then re-choose a VSCO preset, LR will “find” all the profiles again and everything will work as it should*. Make sure that the .dcp files are not nested inside another folder.  (Mac OS High Sierra)

*You might have to do this every time you start LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

webbwork  wrote

Thanks, Ian. At first blush, moving the profiles (.dcp) to that location does not make a difference. However, if you change to a working profile, and then re-choose a VSCO preset, LR will “find” all the profiles again and everything will work as it should*. Make sure that the .dcp files are not nested inside another folder.  (Mac OS High Sierra)

*You might have to do this every time you start LR.

I'm also using High Sierra. By default, custom profiles created by X-rite ColorChecker (DCP) are placed into the users 'CameraProfiles' folder. Anyway, based on your findings, I created a subfolder and  moved my X-rite profiles into it. Lr7.3 found them no problem. Therefore, I suspect the issue is the preset may be pointing to the wrong location. If the problem continues you may need to edit the preset to point to the folder containing the associated profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian, you’re correct. I can confirm that the interior directories can go at least one level deep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to manually edit the preset (simple text editor is sufficient) to point to your preferred folder. From what I can see on my presets it's only the folder name that's listed not the full path. So, editing the preset is relatively easy. Even so, it's worth making a backup copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a "for dummies" tutorial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lyons: Would you be able to explain this in more detail? All my VSCO have this missing profileScreen Shot 2018-06-17 at 1.41.43 AM.png message.

How am I able to fix this? I need to deliver my images to a client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons   I don't have VSCO presets/profiles to see what they have in the preset file to refer to the profile file to know what to tell people to do when I see one of these VSCO-missing-profile threads.

Is the problem that LR is not compatible with profiles being in subfolders under CameraRaw\CameraProfiles?  Or is it compatible with 1 level under CameraProfiles but not two or what?

It would be helpful to show an example of what the preset has in it from VSCO and then what you're suggesting editing it to, to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ian+Lyons    I don't have VSCO presets/profiles to see what they have in the preset file to refer to the profile file to know what to tell people to do when I see one of these VSCO-missing-profile threads.

I don't have any VSCO presets/profiles. Therefore, I have no idea what the specific issue is, and those who have the presets don't appear willing to share them. VSCO have had plenty of time to resolve the issue. So, customers should really be asking them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also got the missing profile message but then I realized I was trying to edit an iPhoneX photo using a Sony VSCO preset. If you're having problems, remember that the camera profiles are camera-specific -- Duh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you are applying the vsco preset to a photo from a newer camera? I had the same thing happen, and then I realized it was photo from my newest camera. I went to vsco's website and downloaded the latest version of the preset pack, and then worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact problem with all of my presets. Also, I often shoot with a Fuji X100F, and I used to be able to expand the Profile list and select various Fuji film simulations. This option is now gone as well. Something appears to be broken or wrong with this update, and it's making my post-production edits very difficult! Please update me with a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same problem but ONLY when I apply a VSCO preset that has a camera specific profile within the preset.

For example, I have both Olympus and Canon and Standard film presets. No issue if the Oly is applied to Oly. But if I apply Oly to say Pentax, I get the error about the missing profile.

Looking in the presets, I see this for a standard VSCO film preset:

crs:CameraProfile="Adobe Standard"

Looking in my Olympus specific film presets I see this:

crs:CameraProfile="Kodak Gold 100 - O"

And that in fact is the profile for my Olympus cameras, and only shows for those cameras. Just like how my Colorchecker Passport dcp-now profiles show for each camera they're assigned to.

profiles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem with my VSCO profiles. Every time I launch Lightroom it wants to convert my presets and rename them. It says: "Error: the following presets could not be renamed" with a list of all the presets. I've read this thread a couple of times but can't manage to find a way how to fix this. Can anyone try to explain me how I can get my profiles working again? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific about where in the thread you become stuck. Is it the location of the old/new location for presets/profile or how to edit them?

After conversion to XMP the presets should be at:

Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / Settings /

Windows: C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ Settings \

and profiles need to be moved to:

Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

Windows: C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian. I just checked and my presets and profiles are in the right folders. Lightroom still gives me this error: the following presets could not be renamed, everytime I launch it. Do you think editing the presets might solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an issue with VSСО support. They're mainly in community management these days rather than in products.

Personally I still shoot both film and digital, and for film simulation these days I mainly use RNI's film presets. RNI Films CC - 01 their last package and it's fully profile based. As for the quality – it's just second to none. Their simulation of Portra is a pure magic, as good as it can be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to more these profiles (on the right) and not presets? (on the left?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what exactly you're asking to do but if you have VSCO presets and the ones with camera profiles show a Missing Profile then try copying or moving the camera profiles up to the CameraRaw\CameraProfile folder instead of down underneath in subfolders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're asking if you can reorder the profiles in Grid or List mode, which would have nothing to do with the thread you're posting to, then the answer is, so far, anyway, No.  Things are alphabetical, the profile groups within the profile sections, and the individual profiles within a profile group.  You can mark some as Favorites by clicking on the star and they'll show up in the Favorites group at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VSCO MISSING PROFILE FIX!

first a little background - i've been running my LR on two computers via an external hardrive for years. In my LR catalogue I use the "store presets with catalogue" option. This way all my presets SHOULD be accessible no matter what LR I use or what computer I use .

A little over a year ago I had one and only one of my adjusted VSCO presets (my most used black and white preset) stop working on my desktop computer. When I'd use it it would be flat and dull - when I opened the LR catalogue on my laptop and would use the same preset it would be fine! After updating both my LR's it said that the profile was missing on my desktop computer but not on my laptop. Which I had no idea what that really meant and am still not 100% sure since I'm not a computer wiz.

After spending hours of very frustrating research with zero success I finally got everything working today. Without knowing much about why this all worked all I can do is tell you what I finally did to fix it all which is an amalgamation of a bajillion fixes I came across through my research today -

1) Make sure your computer systems are matching - I'm running High Sierra V 10.13.5

2) Make sure your LR Classic CC's are both up to date and matching*

3) Make sure your Photoshop CC versions are both up to date and matching* this was key for me!

4) Redownload your VSCO presets

5) Make sure you do have Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles / [your VSCO Preset Pack Folder should be here along with any other downloaded 3rd party preset]

** I didn't have the Library folder in my username I did have a Library folder with similar if not almost matching folder structures directly in the Mac HD folder so I thought that was the correct one originally (if you don't see the Library folder it is most likely hidden follow the suggestions on this page to find it! Access hidden Mac OS library files

6) If all of this is aligned, reopen LR - when I did mine prompted me saying that some user permissions weren't being granted? (never saw it before) but I clicked on the learn more link and it sent me to this useful page which I followed the instructions for ( I had to do this on both my desktop AND laptop)

link --> Solutions to Adobe Lightroom Lightroom user permission issues on launch

Once I did all of this I relaunched my LR on my laptop, everything seemed to be working fine, so I made a new test preset and saved it. Then I launched LR on my desktop via the external harddrive and voila all my preset profiles were there (nothing missing) and the preset I had just made on my laptop was there too! Everything seems to be fine! I went and made sure that I could access Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

and sure enough all my preset packs had their own folders with their corresponding .dcp files (which I couldn't find anywhere before)

I'm not sure if when I updated the Photoshop or updated the High Sierra to the latest version it created this new Camera Raw folder structure (my desktop was running 10.13.4 and my laptop was on 10.13.5 at the time of the issue) - but either way it's all set now and I really really hope this works for ya'll!

Best!
Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not work for me, my vsco package comes with some DCP files that I put in the folder: Camera Raw / Camera Profile Also bring the <Irtemplate> of lightroom presets, could you please guide me? Help me please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem now, tried everything but still could not get the presets to work. These are essential to my workflow. For this reason, I have gone back to Lightroom 6 which thankfully still works with the VSCO, as if nothing had happened. I imported my most recent images there and will now continue to work without the new LR versions - as long as it will last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines