Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WordsFlow - how do I get rid of it?

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I recently installed a trial version of WordsFlow to see how it handled imported live data from Excel.

It works very well, but I don't wish to purchase the program. I have a week or so free trial left.

Now I'm faced with an issue.

I would like to carry on importing data from Excel in the manner in which I always have - file place (Create links when Placing Text and Spreadsheet Files ticked).

The trouble is that every instance of imported data (using WordsFlow or not carries the WordsFlow logo).

What is going to happen to this data once the WordsFlow trial expires, does anyone know?

I'd like to delete the plugin from my system - I could find no way to do so.

I downloaded Adobe Extension Manager - but it won't install, returning an error.

I downloaded a 3rd party Extension Manager - WordsFlow is not listed in its interface.

I spent 3 hours online talking to Adobe Customer support - pointless.

As a last resort I deleted the Em Software (WordsFlow) plugin sub folder from the InDesign Plug-Ins folder - InDesign just crashes.
Help, does anyone have experience/a solution to this please?

I'm reluctant to re-install InDesign, but is it the only option?

MTIA

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Many thanks to Chris Ryland and Jo Mathia at WordsFlow customer support for their prompt help in sorting out my issues above!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The uninstall instructions for the WordsFlow plug-in are found at the bottom of this page on the Em Software site:

installation  »  Em Software

In addition, if you have any questions, you can contact them directly:

support@emsoftware.com

If you are still having issues with InDesign running without crashing, I would recommend an uninstall/reinstall.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks Barb

yes I read that page - their suggestions were of no use.

I didn't install it with Adobe Extension Manager (I've had no success in installing Extension Manager afterward either, to see if I could uninstall using it).

I downloaded it directly from their site and installed it from their installer, which I've done again to see if there is an uninstall option.

I tried the other option of removing the folders they suggest and that just crashed InDesign.

I have emailed them, but I need to get on with the work I have now piling up.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What operating system?

Have you tried trashing your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

InDesign CC 2018 13.1, OS High Sierra 10.13.5.

Haven't touched preferences yet. Seems a long while since I've had to do that, how would that help?

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s the first thing to do if things are crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

are you on Mac OS X or Windows?

Usually the WordsFlow plug-in is installed in its own directory of the Plug-Ins directory of your InDesign installation.

Just pull that folder out to the Desktop or remove it after you quit InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

I did that - but InDesign just crashes at launch, after asking if I want to restore documents.

I put the folder back and InDesign launches as normal.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steveg87687011  wrote

Hi Uwe

I did that - but InDesign just crashes at launch, after asking if I want to restore documents.

I put the folder back and InDesign launches as normal.

Steve

Why would you want to restore documents?

In case do not trash only Preferences but also Caches.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

where would I find the relevant caches?

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

currently I'm not on my Mac. Follow Bill Silbert's advice how to delete the caches:
Re: Not all Layers are showing

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then just leave it there for now. It’s not hurting anything. You will hear back from the folks at em software. Their support is excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

thanks for the trash Preferences option.

Moved them to the desktop, with the Em Software plugin folder and InDesign launched without crashing.

The WordsFlow dialogue interface is still there in the File menu and any placed text still carries the 'wf' logo!

Have put my preferences file back, all working okay. At least it proved that it was the plugIn file removal that was causing InDesign to crash at launch.

How easily one forgets how much you tweak the interface for your own ease of working!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't be back in the office until Monday. Let's hope that the WordsFlow people reply in the meantime?

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve--

See our response from support@emsoftware.com.

(Something strange is going on, as simply deleting the Plug-Ins/Em Software/ folder and restarting InDesign has always worked in the past.)

Cheers!

--Chris Ryland, Em Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris, I've replied to you support email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running WordsFlow inside of InDesign for years with no problems. Assuming you followed Em Software's instructions to uninstall WordsFlow and are still having problems,  I suggest you uninstall/reinstall InDesign. I don't know why you're reluctant to do it? It's so easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott

It's just the hassle of saving and then re-installing all the saved text and GREP searches, preferences, installed scripts, pdf print profiles, work spaces etc

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to Chris Ryland and Jo Mathia at WordsFlow customer support for their prompt help in sorting out my issues above!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Steve,

It is nice to give feedback on the problem solved, but it would be helpful, to post the final actions with the "correct answer", so that others may find that back if they are in trouble.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines