Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text wrap probs with illu graphic containing image

Participant ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am in CC on Win 7.

In my ID doc, placing various Illustrator graphics.

Some of those graphics have images and vector art.

ID's wrap/detect edges isn't working for me - ID finds some edges, misses others.

I added a filled object to the bottom layer of the Illustrator doc and edited shape for ID to wrap around, gave it a white fill - that isn't seen.

Changed fill to 250, 250, 250 - still is not seen reliably.

So - is it color mode, or what, is needed for ID to reliably see edges in an Illustrator graphic and wrap text?

The biggest problems seem to be in the areas of white background of the embedded image.

- yeah, I should prob use transparency in the image. But still - why the <bleep> won't ID wrap around these filled vectors in the Illu graphic?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

only black?

"turn off edge detect" - then the text runs through again.

No, this feature does not work well under these conditions. Oh, well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be helpful if you could include screen captures of what kind of Illustrator graphics work and which do not. Are thttey all saved in AI format?

You're inconsistent in the way you describe your artwork. Sometimes you talk about graphics that have images in them and sometimes you do not:

"Some of those graphics have images and vector art."

"But still - why the <bleep> won't ID wrap around these filled vectors in the Illu graphic?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems with any of the "filled vectors" I created in Illustrator. Text Wrap panel with Detect Edges and Wrap Around Object Shape works on them all:

InDesign CC042.png

But if you've embedded images, I'm not sure. I usually place vectors from Illustrator, and place images separately. That's why you need to show us your artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I positioned this on the right side of the page, set to 'detect edges'.

Some of the text that should have wrapped actually ran underneath the cooktop image.

unpack image for forum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's a version showing the path I added to serve as a fence - I recolored it red and dashed it for visibility. In the previous graphic it is there but stroke and fill is the 'almost white' I described in my first post. ID did not see that 'almost white' filled vector. So- is it visual contrast ID is looking for, or are there other factors?

unpack for forum troubleshoot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some of what it does in ID. Right here, the text isn't near the cooktop image, but some lines above are clearly running under.

(literature pack and read th...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jay,

if you want to support InDesign's detect edges feature with an extra layer, I think this layer must contain solid filled shapes of black.

After edge detection you could turn off that layer.

That all said:

It seems that it would be easier with this kind of graphics to draw a new shape in InDesign and apply text wrap to it.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

only black?

"turn off edge detect" - then the text runs through again.

No, this feature does not work well under these conditions. Oh, well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines