• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC on laptop(without touchscreen) always defaults to Hand Tool, but I want Selection Tool as default

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on laptop(without touchscreen) always defaults to Hand Tool, but I want Selection Tool as default.

I believe it's definitely a bug. Reader DC may mistakenly detect laptops as all can be used in Tablet Mode(Windows 10) with a touchscreen, and set the Hand Tool as default, but some laptops like mine don't have touchscreens, we would prefer Selection Tool as default.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Hello Xbobx,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. If you have tried all the suggestions shared above and if you feel that it's a bug, will request you to share the details with the Engineering and Development team through the URL Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Share the system details and the steps to reproduce the issue, the Engineering team will check and validate the information and if the issue is reproducible, they will work on a fix/workaround and will share an up

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Xbobx,

We're sorry for the trouble you had in making the Hand tool as default in Adobe Reader. Please navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>General>and uncheck "Make hand tool read articles"

Then navigate to Edit>Preferences>Documents>select the box for "Restore last view settings when reopening documents".

Click Ok, and close the PDF and Adobe Reader and launch Adobe Reader and check. Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Reader, check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader from help>check for updates. Reboot the machine after updating Adobe Reader.

You may also refer to the Adobe discussion and try the suggestions https://acrobatusers.com/forum/general-acrobat-topics/default-text-selection-tool/

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, your suggestions didn't solve the problem.

I am sure it's a bug, and it can't be solved by editing the preferences, because I've tried many suggestions, including first using  AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2015 to remove all my preferences, then reinstall Acrobat Reader DC.

Like I said, Reader DC may mistakenly detect my laptop as can be used in Tablet Mode(Windows 10) with a touchscreen and set the Hand Tool as default, but I prefer Selection Tool as default.

In  Acrobat DC Pro--can I make select tool default?? , he/she had to disable the touchscreen from the device manager on the laptop and that worked for him/her, mine doesn't have the touchscreen.

It's very annoying and it's a bug and need to be solved by modifying the source code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Xbobx,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. If you have tried all the suggestions shared above and if you feel that it's a bug, will request you to share the details with the Engineering and Development team through the URL Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Share the system details and the steps to reproduce the issue, the Engineering team will check and validate the information and if the issue is reproducible, they will work on a fix/workaround and will share an update.

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've submitted a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it's because Windows 10 or Acrabat Reader DC  mistakes "Synaptics Touchpad" for a touch screen, and defaults to the "Touch Mode", and defaults to the Hand Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines