Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp project with variables crashes

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2009 Mar 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have 2 projects that had no problems until I added variables. Now they crash about 90% of the time while generating the .chm file, and always during the "updating" stage. (Eventually, I do manage...)

I am using RoboHelp 7, and not on a server. I have tried replacing the CPD file.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks,
Jackie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackie.

Variables as such are not known to cause projects to crash and the fact that you do manage to get the project to generate means the problem is not in this area. Are you generating to a server? If you are, try generating to a local drive and see if that helps. If not, have you access to another PC that you could test this on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response.
I only assumed that the problem was caused by the variables, because I didn't have problems until I added the variables.
The files are being generated to my local computer. I have copied the whole project to my second computer, and the same thing happens.

I have tried looking at the error report, but don't understand anything. Would you like to see it?

-Jackie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackie

Perhaps try creating a new layout?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, still crashes after creating a new layout. (I created the layouts from scratch, did not duplicate the previous ones.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't remember if we tried this with your other post on this issue but did you create a new project and import in one of your variable files. Don't add a variable to a topic. Does this project generate? If so, add a single variable to a topic and generate again. If this works, add another variable and generate. Repeat until he hit a problem and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, havent tried that, will do so today.
In the meantime, I saw in my computer log that there are lots of errors with the following description:

"Faulting application robohtml.exe, version 7.3.1.0, faulting module baselibrary_release_u_dll, version 0.0.0.0 etc." Does this mean anything?

Also, today I tried generating a Word document, and the same thing happened - RH crashed a few times while updating. (Problem was solved when I generated the document with the images in a linked file.)

Thanks,
Jackie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackie.
Maybe this DLL wasn't installed correctly? Was RH7 installed by a user with full administrative rights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The IT guy has left already, but I assume so. (I installed it on my computer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Forgot to mention it before, but all problems were solved once we upgraded to RohoHelp 9. What a pleasure not having to hold my breath to see if the project would be generated.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp