Exit

Must clear browser cache for TOC to display correctly

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2009 Mar 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Here's my situation:
I use RoboHelp 7 to manage our public, online Knowledge Base (KB). I generate the layout to my local computer and then manually upload the project output files to our sever via SmartFTP (this is the only way I've been able to publish; I'm unable to publish directly to our sever using RoboHelp Generate Primary Layout function -- but that's another issue.)

The issue is this:
After I finish uploading the the project file to the server, I view the newly published KB in Firefox 3.0.6 or IE 7.0.5xxx. SOMETIMES the KB TOC looks fine on the first view -- without even clicking refresh (if my browser happened to be open). OTHER TIMES, I view the newly published KB in the browser and TOC is totally screwed up; that is, topics are filed helter-skelter under the wrong TOC books. What's weird is that the browsers are not displaying the previous version of the KB; they're displaying some randomly generated disorder! When I clear the browser history (IE)/ clear private data (Firefox), that solves the problem -- the TOC displays correctly.

Obviously, I have a solution to this problem for myself and co-workers, but I worry that many of our users are viewing a screwed up TOC. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can publish updated versions of our KB that won't require viewers clear their cache to see it properly? Any insights are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Beth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could understand seeing the old TOC but not the screwed up TOC. Are you deleting everything with SmartFTP and then uploading everything? If not, try that.

Part of the problem is that by default Firefox does not clear its cache when you revisit a page. Neither does IE but there it is easier to change the behaviour. In FF, you have to enter about:config in the address bar and then press Enter. In the page that displays, locate browser.cache.check_doc_frequency and change the setting to 1. I think that will fix the problem for you but, obviously not your users.

Can you get them to make that change? Also I believe hold down Shift when you press Enter after putting in any address clears the cache if you don't want this change for all sites you visit.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! I guess it's more of a browser thing, than RoboHelp, but if I could ask you one more thing on this: by changing the "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency" setting to 1 in Firefox (it's currently set at 3), does that clear the cache every time? And does the current setting of 3 mean it clears every 3rd time?

Thanks,
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to investigate Firefox help for the answer to that. I know 1 means every time, that's it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Just thought I'd weigh in on this. Hope nobody minds.

Unlike my fellow Adobe Community Expert Peter, I really wouldn't expect to see the old TOC and a helter-skelter TOC sounds perfectly reasonable. Here's why.

If you generate WebHelp with the "Speed" option configured for Internet, the navigational elements are fragmented into smaller, more easily served sections. These are stored as smaller XML files that are read in when needed. So it seems reasonable to me that if something caused those elements to be rearranged, you could briefly end up with a mix that is mismatched for the overall whole. Thus causing the issue you are citing.

One possibility would be to alter the speed setting so it reflects "Local PC". This should force the navigational files into single files. Likely preventing the issue you are seeing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rick,
I certainly don't mind your input on the matter! I have been playing around with generating output, so I'm not sure yet if changing the speed to "Local PC" will resolve the issue. Hopefully it will as that will be a simple fix! I will reply again when I determine if it's fixed. Thanks for the information.
~Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said I could understand seeing the old TOC, not a scewed up TOC, because I have seen that and it was because the FF had not refreshed. All I needed to do was force a refresh and I saw the new TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp