• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing a large word document on InDesign - overset text

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently trying to re-format two 100+ page documents on InDesign. I'm new to the program and finding it very difficult to figure out how to solve this issue.

I place the text in my document using auto-flow, with the master frames checkbox ticked. Once I place my text, the document is blank from page 21 onwards.

The preflight panel is indicating that the text is overset. When I view my story editor the text is visible with a red line along the left hand side. I have tried all solutions suggested on various forums, but to no avail.

I'd really appreciate if someone could give me further advice on the above.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder​

I can see you helped somebody with a similar query in this forum Please Help asap: overset text & blank pages

I wonder could you help me with my issue?

I am using InDesign CC. The following two screenshots show the Story Editor panel where I can see my overset text.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 10.38.35.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-17 at 10.38.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is very difficult to find issue, without looking into indesign file can you share your indesign file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

do you see the anchor symbol character, the first one in your overset text?
This is an anchored object. I assume an anchored image which size is too large ( height! ) to fit your text frame.

You could do the following:

1. Prepare a very large text frame on the pasteboard. If necessary expand the pasteboard by changing the document's preferences.

2. Select the anchor symbol character in the Story Editor Window.

3. Drag the selected character to the first insertion point of your very large text frame.

If the anchored frame is showing up, scale the frame with its image to a size your text frame of the main text flow can manage.

If that is done, copy/paste the scaled frame at its place in the main text flow.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to drag the anchor symbol but it isn't allowing me to do so. There are also 115 pages in the document, with many many anchor symbols throughout in story editor. If this method did work would it mean doing each anchor symbol manually?

Thank you,

Emma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma,

if it is too hard to drag the special character, you could also select it, cut it and paste it to the first insertion point of your big text frame on the pasteboard. Just select the first insertion point of that frame before you paste. If you still see overset text in your big frame change the size of the frame.

Or: Check the size of the image in Microsoft Word.

Important Note: If an image in Word is cropped, InDesign's place command will not honor the crop values and always tries to place the whole image uncropped.

Other workaround:
Rename a duplicate of the docx file and give it a zip suffix.

Unzip the zip file and use the images that are nested in the zipped structure for placing in InDesign.

In that case remove all the anchored images in a duplicated docx file and place the text only.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

Other workaround:
Rename a duplicate of the docx file and give it a zip suffix.

Just to dig into the technical details:

An Office document (Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint) are disguised ZIP archives containing all the stuff those programs need to do their work. the great thing with this is that you can easily extract the images of such a document. My zipping/unzipping program (the free 7zip program) offers to unzip the data without need to change the extension.  I do that regularly when getting Word/Publisher documents that I need to layout.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding: The handling of Word documents as zipped containers is only working with docx files!

It will not work with doc files.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Emma:

I can't see why it is overset from the screen shots. I'm happy to look at the file. You can put it on dropbox and post the link here (public), or hover over my name and message me (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines