• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making changes on one computer and copying over to another?

Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use LR on a Surface Pro tablet to tether to my camera. I'd like to be able to make some quick changes on the tablet before copying everythng over to my main iMac with my main LR catalog.

1. I see there is an option under File > Import from Another Catalog

Can this be used to copy over the changes made to photos on the Surface Pro to the catalog to the iMac?

2. If not, what setup if any can do what I am trying to do?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

To be able to import from the catalog on the iMac, you need the photos and the catalog.

If having placed both on the external drive it's the easier way. Of course, you can also store to internal memory and access both later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend you view this Youtube video- Lightroom 5: How to Use Lightroom 5 On Location - YouTube

I suggest you create a new (empty) catalog on an external drive attached to the Surface Pro.

Tether the camera and set destination for the images as a folder on the external drive.

Back at your desktop- attach the external drive, open your desktop master catalog, and "Import from another Catalog" selecting the one created on the external drive. Include the "negative" files to copy to the desktop computer.

Done.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason to connect the external drive during tethering and have the photos saved to the drive at that time?

I was planning to just tether to the Surface Pro, and save the photos to a folder on the Surface Pro, and when ready, copy the folder of photos to an external drive or a flash drive or use wireless networking to get it to my main drive with my main catalog connected to my iMac.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be able to import from the catalog on the iMac, you need the photos and the catalog.

If having placed both on the external drive it's the easier way. Of course, you can also store to internal memory and access both later.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As in the answer by @F. McLion, you can do it your way.

Either way, the choice is yours.

1) Tether > Surface Pro > Copy to External > Desktop (Import from Catalog)

or-

2) Tether > External > Desktop (Import from Catalog)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines