• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I publish my RoboHelp project directly to a web server using the Generate Primary Layout (WebHelp) function?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping to improve my method of publishing my company Knowledge Base.

Currently, I generate the RoboHelp layout to a folder on my local computer and then manually upload the project output files to our sever via SmartFTP. My question is how do I publish directly to the server? Is this possible?

On the first page of the Generate Primary Layout "wizard", I have entered the path to a local folder on my computer. Three screens later in the Servers box of the "wizard", I have entered a server and path, and checked its box. When I generated the output, I expected it to be published to both locations: the local folder and the web server folder. But it only publishes to the local folder, not the web server. How do I get it publish to the server also?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
~Beth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit the Publish button when the generation finishes and you get the choices to view, publish, etc. I imagine that if you have rights to move files to the server, this would work. That's the theory behind the Publish button, at least.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh, never even noticed the "Publish" button; always click "View Result". Thanks Ben, for pointing it out!

I think theoretically the Publish button would work, but it didn't and gave me this error message:
Warning: Failed to publish to "Help". reason: Connection failed. Please check the connection and post again.
Native Error:Method not allowed.

Not sure why it wouldn't be allowed. Any troubleshooting ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You generate to the local folder.

You publish those generated topics that have changed to the publish folder, but only by clicking the Publish button at the end of the generation process.

If you have already generated but not published, and you have the project open, you can publish by right clicking the Layout and selecting Publish.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, those are important distinctions. But if you like, you can publish the complete set of files after each generation by checking the "Republish All" box on the last page of the SSL wizard. The default is to publish only what has changed since the last generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set up the connection protocol to be FTP (when creating or editing the server location on the last page of the wizard)? If so, it asks for the FTP info. If you just select File System or HTTP and enter the server path, the server probably isn't recognizing that you have access. I'm guessing the FTP protocol is what you want, since you've been using an FTP client until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been using the HTTP setting, so switched to FTP and filled in server info. This time the Publish function began working! However, the process has since hit a snafu.

Certain files are causing errors and I'm getting a message such as this one:
Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file: image 235.jpg

When I click OK to the first error message, I then get this one:
Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file: bsscftp.txt

After clicking OK to the 2nd error msg, the Publish fails and I get this:
Warning: Failed to publish to "help". reason: Canceled by user.

I have run through the Publish a couple times now and various files cause the 1st error, but the 2nd file is always that same txt file. I realize this snafu may be particular to my situation but any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you able to connect differently to the server? Perhaps so you see it as a drive letter? If so, you could try connecting and publishing a slightly different way.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bsscftp.txt is probably some type of internal-to-RH log file for the FTP process ("bs" for the original Blue Sky owners?).

Try this:

1. Verify that you have privileges to write to the server.
2. Create an entirely new WebHelp layout (different name).
3. In the Generate destination, enter a new, different location for the output (so as not to overwrite the current output until you've cleared this up).
4. In the Publish destination, select File System and enter a new actual path (not a shared drive letter), such as \\servername\directorypath.
5. Do the Generate/Publish thing.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I believe Leon is spot on with this and I'll expand it a bit further.

The BSSC part typically means Blue Sky Software Corporation. This is similar to DNA in that it provides a glimpse of where RoboHelp comes from.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon,
Thanks for your suggestion! I followed the 5 steps you gave me, but the File System method didn't work. I believe it's b/c I am not connected to our webserver locally. Our website is hosted by a 3rd party company so there is no way to enter an "actual path, such as \\servername\directorypath."

At this point, I've tried all 4 Connection Protocol methods and the FTP has brought me closest to actually publishing, i.e., I got a publishing progress bar and it seemed to be working until the process hit those problem files. So unless I can figure out how to override those error messages and the subsequent "cancel" that automatically happens, I'm not sure how to make this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We occasionally get publishing failures, which seem to connected to network traffic. We publish to two different servers, and we often get publish success on one and publish failure on the other. Go figure! When we immediately choose to publish again, it goes through.

I expect that your "3rd party company" needs to work with you to solve this (privilege issue, bandwidth issue, etc?).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp