• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Powerpoint launch briefly when I open a PDF in Acrobat?

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that often when I open a new PDF in Acrobat, or when I launch Acrobat for the first time after a restart, the Powerpoint application icon starts bouncing in my dock. It will disappear after a few seconds and never actually launch the PPT application, but it slows down my computer, and during the time that the PPT icon is bouncing, I can't use Acrobat. I rarely use Powerpoint, so I don't even keep it in my dock.

MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.5 (17F77)

Acrobat Pro DC version 2018.011.20040

Powerpoint version 16.3.1

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Hi everyone,

I think I found the solutions. Go to:

Systems Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Privacy (tab) --> Automation --> Uncheck the "Microsoft PowerPoint" under Adobe Acrobat (see photo)

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.21.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eleighb,

As per the issue description mentioned above, powerpoint application starts when opening a pdf in Acrobat, is that correct?

Could you try following troubleshooting steps:

1- Reboot the machine if you haven't already and check.

2- If that doesn't work, try resetting preferences for Acrobat using the steps given in this link: How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default. reboot the machine after resetting preferences and try again.

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Shivam. I tried that, and it still happens. About a minute or so after I launch Acrobat, the Powerpoint icon appears in my dock and starts bouncing, then goes away after about 20 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we have checked the account details using the email address you are logged into the forums, you have a subscription for Creative Cloud. Could you try removing Acrobat on your machine using the steps given in the following thread: Installing, uninstalling Adobe Acrobat X | Mac OS , reboot the machine, and reinstall Acrobat DC using the steps given in this link: Learn how to download your Adobe Creative Cloud apps and check.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this behavior as well. I just started building the images for my computer labs and every one of the new computers exhibits this behavior. My versions match yours. I have also tried updating Powerpoint to version 16.14.1

Whenever a new user logs in and launches Acrobat, Powerpoint will automatically open for few seconds before it disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On this side also. Except i got 3 macs which on 1 it doesn't occur. One other is running the 3rd beta of Mojave and on that one Powerpoint stays open and Acrobat hangs when quitting. Running office insiders built 16.16 (no change with 16.15 on the other)

Uninstalling/installing/resetting doesn't offer a solution...

MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G65)

Acrobat Pro DC version 18.011.20055

Powerpoint version 16.15 (180709)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Could you try creating a new user account on the machine using the steps given in the following help document: macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac , try launching Acrobat from there and check if this behavior continues?

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam,

I'm having the exact same issue. I was, in fact, able to open Acrobat from the guest account on my Airbook without Power Point getting in the way. Unfortunately, as this issue is happening on a work computer with a decent deal of strict permissions, this isn't exactly a practical workaround.

Relevant info:

Mac OS Mojave v10.14.2

2017 13" MacBook Air

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor

8GB 16MHz DDR3 memory

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Acrobat v 2019.010.20064

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 19.10.20064.311007

AGM: 4.30.83

CoolType: 5.14.5

JP2K: 1.2.2.42216

Power Point v16.20 (181208)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi supazuchan,

Could you try rebooting the machine once if you haven't already and check if that helps? Also, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following help document and check:  Troubleshoot unexpected behavior in specific user account

thanks,

shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything that has been posted here, multiple times, and if Microsoft Office is installed the Adobe Acrobat asks for permission to control Power Point, then once I grant it Power Point is opened then closed.

Again, I have tried uninstalling both, reinstalling both, I tried removing / installing Adobe Acrobat, Creative Cloud, together and separately.  I have tried making a new account and it happens there too.  I even, since I just got this Mac, wiped out the Mac and started over and it still did this.

This is incredibly frustrating behavior, I would like to know at least why and perhaps how to stop it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a new Mac, and decided to start fresh with downloading all my software rather than copy everything over to the new machine. This time I cancelled/opted out of the prompt to allow Acrobat permission to control Powerpoint, and so far, I haven't had any issues with PPT launching when I open Acrobat.

I don't know whether that means that PPT's capabilities might be limited now, but I basically use PPT only to open client files for reference, whereas I work in Acrobat almost daily, so I don't really care if PPT is limited.

Not sure if that helps anyone, and honestly, I don't know how to recreate the prompt, except possibly clear my preferences and reinstall Microsoft Office and/or Acrobat. Hope that can provide some guidance (and I'm crossing my fingers that this continues to work for me!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you figured out any way to access this prompt after installing Acrobat DC? I can't seem to find anything under the preferences.

I am unable to uninstall then reinstall acrobat at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. iMac Pro. PowerPoint opens itself when I open Acrobat. Very terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only began to happen at my site after updating to Acro 2019.010.20098. The update seemed to trigger the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AndyTallon,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Would you please help us with the information as asked below:

- Did the issue start occurring after updating the application?

- What is the MS PowerPoint version?

- Share the logs using the CC collector tool. Refer to the steps provided in the following help document  How to use the Creative Cloud Log Collector tool

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue after just getting a new iMac 5k (Mojave 10.14.4), everything cleanly installed just yesterday from Adobe CC and Office 365. Acrobat (19.010.20099) asks for permission to have access to PowerPoint (16.24) every time I open. Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I accidentally fixed it by turning off and then turning back on some features such as shared review under preferences>reviewing.

Can anyone else confirm this works for them? Just turn off all the shared review features, apply, restart acrobat, open a PDF and see if powerpoint launches, then it seems you can turn those features back on and the issue is fixed for good (I think!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening on our staff Macs for a while now on SIerra, High SIerra, and now Mojave. This is the default behavior of CC 2018 apps when Office 2016 is also installed. What irks me is that CC never asked my permission to launch or share anything with PowerPoint; it is the default behavior after installing via a fresh installer from Creative Cloud Packager. @Adobe, this needs to be turned off by default in new installations. No workarounds, Adobe. We need a true solution. This has been happening on Mac for over a year now. Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I think I found the solutions. Go to:

Systems Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Privacy (tab) --> Automation --> Uncheck the "Microsoft PowerPoint" under Adobe Acrobat (see photo)

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.21.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's it! Gold star for you, danieltiendat​! Thanks for figuring out the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines