• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color profile problem.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in the video, I import a .raw photo taken with a C-LOG (flat profile) in my camera and LR do something automatically and change the color profile to, I guess Adobe Profile, and pop up the colors.

A few months ago, this not happend and I can edit my photos in flat profile.

Why is this happening?

Help?

Message was edited by: Moderator to remove broken You Tube link.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

facundom31416560  wrote

Thanks for that. I know.

But I'm sure I was editing .raw files.

From the mouth of Andrew Reid the EOSHD C-Log profile developer:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20581-eoshd-c-log-for-all-canon-dslrs-inc-5d-mk-iv/?page=13&tab=comments#comment-20…

• Andrew Reid - Filmmaker - Editor EOSHD

Although I designed it to be an in-camera profile for video and JPEG, nowhere did I say it was for shooting raw :)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be several reasons but you've blurred everything so we cannot see if you're applying a preset or have changed the defaults, somehow--like using a non-zero Dehaze.

If you would like others to be able to independently test the photo and draw their own conclusions, please upload it to somewhere like dropbox or onedrive or googledrive and provide a public download link, here.

It could also be that Adobe supports the C-Log profile and will make thing have higher contrast and be brighter much like the camera would do for video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the new video without blur:  LR color problem. - YouTube

I did not apply any preset or do ANYTHING. As you can see in the video, I just select the photo, import, wait a sec. and LR does something automatically and the color of the photo changes.

Here's the link for the photo (.raw): IMG_0143.CR2 - Google Drive

As I said before: a few month ago LR reads perfec the C-LOG color profile and when I import images, I saw them like that (flat) and edit from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

facundom31416560  wrote

As you can see in the video, I import a .raw photo taken with a C-LOG (flat profile) in my camera and LR do something automatically and change the color profile to, I guess Adobe Profile, and pop up the colors.

A few months ago, this not happend and I can edit my photos in flat profile.

Why is this happening?

There is no such thing as a ".raw photo taken with a C-LOG (flat profile)". Raw files do not have profiles, the application of a profile is part of conversion process from Raw to a rendered RGB version - like a jpg or tiff - and one of a variety of different profiles can be applied at this time. When you shot the photo your camera also did a conversion from Raw to jpg in order to obtain the jpg which is embedded within the Raw file and displayed on your camera's LCD. Following your instructions, the camera used C-Log for processing that jpg. LR also uses the embedded jpg for a few seconds as its preview display until it is has made its own preview with its default settings. As far as LR is concerned that Raw is no different from any other Raw, and in current versions of LR the default profile is Adobe Color and in older versions it was Adobe Standard. But like any other processing done to a Raw, the profile can be quickly and easily changed. If you have created and imported into LR a Camera Profile for your camera model which embodies the C-Log curves, you can change the profile to that, or make that LR's default or set up a preset that will apply the C-Log profile.

If you do not have such a profile but do have a C-Log LUT file ( .cube), you can create a profile for LR Classic 7.3 or 7.4 in ACR. Or maybe find one on the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the new video without blur:  LR color problem. - YouTube

I did not apply any preset or do ANYTHING. As you can see in the video, I just select the photo, import, wait a sec. and LR does something automatically and the color of the photo changes.

Here's the link for the photo (.raw): IMG_0143.CR2 - Google Drive

As I said before: a few month ago LR reads perfec the C-LOG color profile and when I import images, I saw them like that (flat) and edit from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't customized your own camera defaults then Lightroom has done exactly what it is supposed to do. The Adobe Color profile is the default color profile that is applied. Lightroom is not going to read the profile that you select in the camera. If you want that other profile to be your default profile then it will be necessary for you to make it part of your default settings in Lightroom. Anything that you want to be part of your default settings will have to be customized by you. Lightroom cannot read in-camera settings because every camera maker creates their own "secret" raw format. That's why Adobe has to create support for each individual camera model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember doing this before, but, how can I make this color profile as a default option on LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose a newly imported raw image in the Develop module. Choose the profile that you want to be your default profile. Make any other adjustments that you want to be part of your default settings for all images that are imported. Then go to the Develop menu and choose, "Set default settings". Those settings will then become the default settings that will be applied to ALL raw images that are imported from that camera. Those settings will also be applied whenever you click on the Reset button.

Another quick way to set those defaults is to hold the Alt key, and the Reset button will change to, "Set default". You can do this for as many different camera models as you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the OP's defense I think their wording could have been "I shoot some raws with the camera set to the C-log camera profile and they used to look flat in Adobe software but now they look brightly colored.  I want things to be back flat how they used to be."

While it is true that the jpg-processing the camera does isn't reflected in the raw data, per se, the camera might expose differently when set to c-log mode so the raws shot in that mode might be different than raws shot in a standard mode.  They may not be flatter but they may be darker.

And if the camera exposes differently LR might choose to do something special when it sees the c-log profile tag in the raw file metadata and have a different camera profile if the camera was shooting with a c-log profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel  wrote

And if the camera exposes differently LR might choose to do something special when it sees the c-log profile tag in the raw file metadata and have a different camera profile if the camera was shooting with a c-log profile.

An examination of the CR2 file made available by the OP shows that it is from a 6D. This camera's firmware does not natively come with a "C-Log Picture Style" and therefore among LR's Camera Matching profiles for the 6D there is no C-Log matching profile. The OP has purchased and loaded to one of his camera's Custom Picture Style slots a third party product. https://www.eoshd.com/2016/09/now-available-eoshd-picture-profiles-brings-c-log-canon-dslrs-includin...

"LR might choose to do something special when it sees the c-log profile tag in the raw file metadata and have a different camera profile if the camera was shooting with a c-log profile." The suggestion that Adobe might be reading and reacting to Canon's Picture Style notation in the Maker Notes is already surprising enough to send (my) eyebrows sky high, even regarding those Canon models that do have a C-Log option (if this does indeed happen for, say, the 1D C, please correct me), but to suppose that Adobe would know the content of a Custom P.S. and "do something special" seems extra astounding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did.

But my question mostly is why before I can see and edit my photos with the same "look" and now I can't? Why before LR does nothing with the colors, tones, etc. and now change everything?

Does something about LR changes in the last update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

facundom31416560  wrote

But my question mostly is why before I can see and edit my photos with the same "look" and now I can't? Why before LR does nothing with the colors, tones, etc. and now change everything?

The Canon C-Log profile is actually a Picture Style, which is only applied to video and JPEG output files. The raw file has an embedded preview that shows the C-Log processing, but the actual CR2 file data is unmodified. My guess is you were editing camera video or JPEG files and not CR2 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

facundom31416560  wrote

Thanks for that. I know.

If you were editing raw files it is impossible that Lightroom wasn't doing this before. It has ALWAYS done this. Lightroom simply does not have C-log profiles or similar built in and cannot be rendering the same way as built-in jpegs when you are shooting with such a picture style. It is just not possible. It could only have rendered the same as the built in jpeg previews if you used the default picture style in your camera and had set camera standard as the default in Lightroom but even then you would have seen subtle differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

facundom31416560  wrote

Thanks for that. I know.

From the mouth of Andrew Reid the EOSHD C-Log profile developer:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20581-eoshd-c-log-for-all-canon-dslrs-inc-5d-mk-iv/?page=13&tab...

Although I designed it to be an in-camera profile for video and JPEG, nowhere did I say it was for shooting raw :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted September 21, 2017

I agree with Andrew, the primary reason for using C-Log is to minimize data loss during an in-camera conversion to jpg, thus obtaining the best possible jpg for subsequent editing, especially in high contrast lighting. But that jpg stills lags "light-years" behind any Raw file. If you want to start LR editing of a Raw from the flattest and highest DR rendering of the Develop preview and to minimize the (slight) data loss during the application of the Camera Profile, there are various ways to achieve this - my favorite is free and easy to do with the free DNG Profile Editor app. For each of my cameras I have taken the Adobe Standard profile into the DPE and flat-lined the Tonal Response Curve. The new profile is named Adobe Standard Linear and appears in the Profiles list. I don't use it often, but it's there if I need it.

An understanding of the automatic, behind-the-scenes and undeclared processing that LR/ACR does is also valuable. What the "zeroes" mean. Zero Exposure, for instance, means +1 EVO plus the unique Base Line Exposure correction for that camera and ISO. Zero Contrast is roughly +33.

There is, however, a secondary benefit to having the C-Log Picture Style installed in your Canon camera if you use your histogram or clipping display to guide shooting to the right for highlights. It's not a Raw histogram, but it's closer than any other P.S. will give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to "what happened" is that Adobe changed their default profile from Adobe Standard to Adobe Color.

With the example photo, Adobe Standard has much more muted colors than Adobe Color, even though for other photos, at least from my camera, the two are almost indistinguishable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure about LR, but does Premiere have color processing for LOG files automatically upon import? I know that's something that a recent FCPX version has been doing, applying a LUT for Canon C-log. The problem is C-log can be remarkably different among the cinema cameras and XC10/XC15 cameras as well. I recently rented the C200 and set everything to default and the C-log images still way different from the C300mkII c-log. Some example shots: http://www.geardads.com/canon-c200/

Anyway, auto processing LOG files is just tricky because each camera is tuned differently, even if from the same manufacturer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines