• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

9.0 Ext Pro - Bookmarks Actions Menu Suddenly Blank?

Explorer ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Acrobat 9 for some time now (we have old computers).

Our documents have pages of varying sizes and layouts. It's never been a big deal since I could set bookmarks as needed.

The other day I went to do my usual "Make all bookmarks open to Fit Page".
I use Ctrl+A to select all bookmarks, then right-click and select Properties to view the Bookmark Properties dialog.

I select the Add tab to add and edit actions.

I select Execute a Menu Item, then click the Add button to add an action.

I click the Magnification: Fit Page

and POOF - all of my bookmarks open to Fit Page.

Yesterday, the Menu Item dialog opened and was blank.

I've done multiple reboots and 2 complete uninstall / reinstall cycles, even to the point of removing Reader as well.

The dialog remains stubbornly blank.

And now, for some reason, I can no longer print to PDF.

I'm all but shut down on my ability to produce our documents.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shane

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

You need to update to at least 9.5 for it to be compatible with Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shane,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are unable to print to pdf as well as bookmarks action shows blank in Acrobat 9, is that correct?

Could you try following troubleshooting steps:

1- Check if an update is available for Acrobat using "Check for updates" option under "Help" menu, reboot the machine after installing update and try again.

2- If that doesn't work, try repairing Acrobat using repair installation option under Help menu, reboot the machine and check.

Have you tried with another pdf file ( setting bookmarks actions) to check if its not a file specific issue?

Also, let us know dot version of Acrobat and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Shivam,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm running Acrobat 9.3.2 (when I check for updates, it says I'm up to date) on Windows 7 (32 bit).

Historically, I would print engineering drawings (11×17) to PDF and their associated parts lists (8½×11).
Then I'd combine them in Acrobat to a single PDF.
After that, I'd do as described above: select all bookmarks, right-click > Properties > Actions tab > Add an action to Execute a Menu Item, then, in the Menu Item box, choose Magnification: Fit Page.

One day, the Menu Item box was empty.

I can still print to PDF from Word and various other programs and I'm still able to Combine in Acrobat without problem. But I use.Actions to Execute a Menu Item, a blank box with "Menu Item" in the top-left shows up.

If I create bookmarks manually, I get the same thing: The bookmarks Action,

I have a laptop that also runs Acrobat 9 on WIndows 7, though it may be 64 bit, and it's still doing fine with the bookmarks. So I have an effective work-around, but it's annoying to have to fire up the laptop to complete a manual. 🙂

Thanks,

Shane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to update to at least 9.5 for it to be compatible with Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AHHH.. much is explained!!  And it makes 100% sense.. I should have thought of it originally.

And here, my bosses were acting like FINALLY upgrading me from XP to W7 was a favor!

Now I get to check Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. I get the feeling I'll be on Adobe's web site a lot today. 🙂

Thanks!

Shane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines