• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs in CHM?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have them enabled for our WebHelp output and find them very useful for knowing where you are contextually in a project. Is there a way to enable these inside a .CHM output as well?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared

While RoboHelp 7 introduced Breadcrumbs they are a WebHelp and FlashHelp only feature. I believe RoboHelp 8 offers this capability for CHM files.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick's correct. RH8 has the ability for breadcrumbs in CHMs. They are set via an option in the single source layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

Personally, I would like to upgrade to RH8, but finances are really tight with the messy economy, and our company is cutting personnel and budgets; so it probably won't happen right now.

I'm wondering if there are external tools (OpenSource ones?) out there that can do essentially accomplish the same thing. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so Jared as CHM files are a single compiled version of the individual topics. I can't see how you can amend the output of that compiled output. The only way would be to use an open source HAT and I'm not aware if one exists with that functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking along the lines of decompiling the CHM file, doing whatever is needed to get breadcrumbs that way, and then recompiling. But I don't know if recompiling outside of RH would disable existing RH functionality (such as browse sequences, glossary tab). Anyway, it's not a huge issue. I'll try to do some research when I get time.

(I should say "if I get time". What with the hiring freeze and company reoganizations, I inherited about six more projects! Hopefully that translates into job security at least...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compiling a project outside of RH with things like DHTML and browse sequences would probably fail. Maybe decompile, do what you have to do and import back into a RH project may work?

BTW we all feel your pain. Thankfully we are still recruiting but our workload is horrendous. Maybe a dual monitor approach will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I do compile outside of RH on our foreign languages and DHTML works fine (drop down and expanding links), but browse sequences and glossary tab don't work. Maybe I'm just missing whatever component makes them work.

(Yeah, I do have two monitors already. Maybe I need four. :-) )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes browse sequences and glossaries are RH specific and require the hhactivex.dll file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. We do have that file installed and registered but they still don't appear unless compiled within RH, so I'm guessing something else is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe errr....RoboHelp 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh... Yeah, probably. 😄
Anyway thanks and take care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared

You might try this and see what you get.

Copy the project and generate WebHelp to get modified topics. I'd suggest turning off the "Show navigation pane link in topics" option.

In that copy of the project, replace the source files with the WebHelp output topics. (they should have the code for the breadcrumb trails).

Compile a CHM from that and see how it looks and behaves.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting suggestion, Rick. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jared,

I have no trouble compiling with HelpWorkshop and maintaining browse sequences. If the files are there (i.e. the project created in RoboHelp, with RH features), I can then do the tweaks I need to the .hhp file and then compile with HelpWorkshop, and the browse sequences remain. I assume I could also edit topics and still have it work.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp