• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bitmap/grayscale bugs

Explorer ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding all sorts of problems working in Grayscale with the current version (2017.1.1). After converting to bitmap, if I copy and paste that image into a new grayscale image, Photoshop won't allow me to do anything _(such as save, export to PNG, drag the layer into another window) "because of a program error". If I copy the image and paste into a non-adobe program (such as Preview), it is reversed black/white. If I try to create a new image in Photoshop with a white background, it has a black background. If I try to convert the pasted grayscale image to RGB, Photoshop crashes (this is completely repeatable, every time). There is nothing I can do except to quit the program and start again. Clearly something goes very wrong after converting to bitmap.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

I cannot reproduce such issues.

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce such issues.

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately the error message is so vague, I don't know how to troubleshoot. After doing a few google searches, people recommended things like turning off Japanese text in preferences and choosing Middle Eastern, disabling the GPU (as you suggested), and something to do with Camera RAW settings, but none of those fixed the problem.

I think it now has something to do with the clipboard as well. I wonder if I've been trying to copy bitmap data and then work in RGB files. I'm not exactly sure but for now I am just going to change what I wanted to do and avoid the bitmap conversion entirely.

At some point I will try deleting my preferences, but even that is going to take a bit of time and research, to check that I have saved and backed up every individual setting that I would then need to restore. It's way too much of a risk losing some essential brushes or something else I hadn't remembered to back up before destroying the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point I will try deleting my preferences, but even that is going to take a bit of time and research, to check that I have saved and backed up every individual setting that I would then need to restore. It's way too much of a risk losing some essential brushes or something else I hadn't remembered to back up before destroying the preferences.

Restoring the Preferences is indeed inconvenient but easily done; it can become necessary for various reasons (not all of them Adobe’s fault).

So it is one of the reasons one should regularly save one’s Presets (Actions, Brushes etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also experienced the crash then I first converted my image to Mode > Indexed Color and used Palette > "System Windows" and then converted to Mode > Grayscale and my Photoshop CC 2018 did not than crash upon "Save As or Export."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anyone? I'm not sure what is happening here. please send help Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 4.27.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please do not double post. You have started a separate thread on your issue - please stick to that.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines