• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filtering by hierarchical keywords

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using hierarchical keywords in Lightroom, and I now want to filter my photos using the upper level of the hierarchy. For example, I have the following tags:

rocks

sedimentary

sandstone

etc...

igneous

metamorphic

This works great for adding keywords, as I can simply type in "sandstone" and "sedimentary" and "rocks" automatically get added. However, when it comes to searching my photos, I'm stuck. I want to view all my photos of rocks, but filtering by the keyword "rocks" turns up no photos (perhaps because the other keywords only get properly added on export). Is there an easy way to select all photos with any keywords within a particular hierarchy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filtering on 'Rocks' should work fine. That's the whole idea about hierarchical keywords. If you only entered 'sandstone' as keyword, then Lightroom should know this is a photo of a rock because of the hierarchy. Can you show a screenshot that shows the active filter and the keywords list?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you have the 'Export Containing Keywords' box unchecked on your 'lower' keywords (eg sandstone and sedimentary)? I have a very similar process to yours but it only works if this box is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, ignore that, I mis-spoke. I just went back and did a check and in my scenario, where I have

Cars

AC

AC Cobra

it behave exactly as expected. Click on AC Cobra gives me all the cobras, AC gives all AC models and Cars gives everything. How exactly are you filtering? By selection in the RH pane or with a smartAlbum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the filter to 'Show all keywords inside matches'?

all inside.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, that only affects filtering in the keyword list, not filtering images by keywords.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for not replying earlier, I was expecting to get an email if anyone replied but that didn't happen.

I found out what was causing the problem. In the library filter box (above the grid), I had the keywords view set to flat. There is a tiny button at the top right of the keywords column that lets you change this. Changing it to hierarchical fixed this, so that filtering by a parent included all the child keywords. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines