• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR isn't showing all my Collections

Advisor ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PS a lot lately and not LR much - so maybe I have forgotten something very simple - but I can't see all my Collections in the left panel.  The last one as shown below is wc_214-200 - the one I most recently created - but there is nothing below that entry.  I have dozens of Collections in LR.  Why can't I see them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Are you looking at the wrong catalog?

Your screen-clip shows only about 300 photos in this catalog (not entirely visible), is that correct?

Why would you expect to see more Collections in this 'small' catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking at the wrong catalog?

Your screen-clip shows only about 300 photos in this catalog (not entirely visible), is that correct?

Why would you expect to see more Collections in this 'small' catalog?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you are correct, I was looking at the wrong catalog.  I realized that soon after writing and tried to unmarkr my question, but it still got posted.  Glad anyway as this leads me to 2 related follow-up questions:

1.  When I created my catalogs I didn't pay attention to how they were being named and I don't think I even chose the name for the 1st one - I think it was assigned but may be wrong.  Anyway, the names of the 2 catalogs don't really reflect what's in them and I would like to change them.  Will this destroy LR's link to them?  I thought I recalled seeing that if you renamed in LR, it's not a problem.

2.  I also did not pay attention to where the catalogs are saved, and they were saved by default (i believe) in the Pictures folder on my PC.  Can I move them within LR to a folder that I'll better remember without posing linkage problems?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to both questions (with reservations)-

1. Rename:

You need to rename the Catalog (.LRCAT) and the Previews (.LRDATA) in the same manner.

See the topic in-

Photoshop Lightroom catalog FAQ

Can I move them within LR

I think you have a mis-understanding here, the Catalog is the database you are viewing. It is not something "within LR"

I suggest you leave the Catalog (and previews) in the {Pictures} folder until you fully understand how it works.

One reason to move a Catalog to an external hard-drive might be lack of space on an internal drive.

How to create and manage catalogs in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC

But if you are talking about photos or folders, that is an entirely different question.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  The catalog is just the data LR references that are the edits I have made to my images, not the actual images themselves, which exist wherever I have them in my hard drive, right? 

If it's not important that I know where my Catalog is, I can leave it in Pictures.  I am just more likely to remember where it is if I keep it in a folder that I have designated "Lightroom" or "street photography" or something that is named after the images that the Catalog id=s referencing.  I don't use the Pictures folder for anything - except the downloads that Windows automatically send there which then get moved to the right folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog is just the data LR references that are the edits I have made to my images, not the actual images themselves, which exist wherever I have them in my hard drive, right?

Correct.

something that is named after the images that the Catalog is referencing.

Not necessary. If you follow good advice you will only have ONE catalog that references ALL your photos, so a specific name is not important. Some like to rename the Catalog to simply indicate the version of LR (eg. LR-7 Catalog.LRCAT)

Having the 'Lightroom' catalog folders in {Pictures}, or {My Documents}, is a convenient location for making backups of all your documents, including the catalog. 

more likely to remember where it is

Location of the Catalog is easily found from the Catalog Preferences [Ctrl+Shift+, ], and in {Pictures} or {Documents} you will always know where it is!  (Do not put it on the Desktop, or Desktop folder, as it has been known to slow down a computer placed there)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Any particular reason to have one LR catalog?  I have 2 subjects I take photos for which are not in any way related, and so my thought was I'd have a leaner and more manageable situation if I kept 2 catalogs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is like owning two cars- you can only drive one at a time, and just when you need them most the tools are in the 'other' car! Key-wording is the 'key' to track unrelated subjects in the one catalog. (Some use folders, but still one catalog.)

You will get the best complete answer here-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/one-or-multiple-catalogs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines