• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import or open .puppet files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Character Animator is not recognizing downloaded .puppet files. I've tried opening, importing, dragging... nothing works. I am downloading them from Okay Sumurai Puppets - so they are the same puppets used in the tutorials.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Thanks all. I re-installed Animator (after trying a bunch of what AlanK suggested to no avail - and now it works. Thanks for the suggestions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I would say is to save them first to your hard drive, if you can. Then try to import them. Just a guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but they are already on my hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two problems come to mind: (1) the puppet download is corrupt, (2) your system is corrupt. (I guess (3) is user error! 😉

Do you have an existing puppet in a project? If so, why not try from the menu “Export / Puppet” and save somewhere. Then import that puppet file you just exported. If that works but the downloaded puppets do not, then something has gone wrong in the download process. (File got corrupted, truncated, etc.)

If you like, try downloading a puppet file then post the URL of the download here. Then tell me the size of the file you downloaded and I can compare to what I get.

I think *.puppet files are actually ZIP files with a different file extension. I was wondering if some tool like a antivirus checker spotted this and “did something” to the downloaded file as a “safety” mechanism. If you do your own export, that skips the download stage, so hopefully less would get in the way.

The way I normally import puppets is I open/create a project then use control-I (Windows) to open up the import dialog box, then select the *.puppet file to import. Sometimes when using Google Drive for downloads it looks confusing because it seems to detect its a ZIP file and it shows me the contents of the file. Its important to not extract the contents of the ZIP (*.puppet) file - it must be a single *.puppet file on disk to work.

Oh, have you tried any of the puppets/projects in the “Start” workspace? (There are 4 links by default in projects at the top of the window - Start, Rig, Record, Stream - these are default workspaces provided with new projects.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all. I re-installed Animator (after trying a bunch of what AlanK suggested to no avail - and now it works. Thanks for the suggestions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm currently having thesame problem, how do i solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just change the .puppet to .zip and then unzipp everything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to update to Adobe Character Animator version 2.1.1 or 3.2 if the one from okay samurai version 3.1.1 is like that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines