• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Most serious Premiere error I've ever come across: v12.1.1 suddenly exhibits 'Your system has run out of application memory'

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm editing a pilot with a team of other editors. We've had our share of tech issues with Premiere Teams, but we've slogged through most. This one has stopped me cold and leaves me unable to work with less than a week until delivery. I used to be a software tester, so I'm hoping I'm including all of the relevant info.

A team of four of us have been working on a team project from four locations. My computer has worked relatively well, but this morning I found a "Your system has run out of application memory" error and I cannot launch the team project on my system not matter what.

Below is my system info and then screen shots of what's happening as Premiere CC 12.1.1 tries to open the project.

What I've tried already:

I've already cleared the cache.

I've already uninstalled Premiere CC 2018 and re-installed.
I've already updated my computer to the latest OS X updates.

I've opened hard drive space from 32 GB free space on a 450GB drive (which has performed fine for years) to about 180GB free space.

None of these has fixed the issue.

System info and condition before launching project in Premiere Pro CC 2018 (v12.1.1)

The version of Premiere I'm using:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.23.41 PM.png

My specs:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.23.54 PM.png

My open hard drive memory. Forget the Bootcamp bit. Couldn't get it out of the screen shot:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.24.42 PM.png

Activity Monitor's CPU usage before Premiere is launched:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.25.35 PM.png

Activity Monitor's Memory usage before Premiere is launched:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.25.19 PM.png

System info and condition as I launch the project in Premiere Pro CC 2018 (v12.1.1)

Launching project in Premiere Pro (as an FYI, this is working fine today for the other three members of the team, as you can see by the Last Shared info).

I launched at 3:28 PM local time:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.28.21 PM.png

Here's the CPU usage as Premiere launches the team project:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.29.05 PM.png

Here's the Memory usage as Premiere launches the team project:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.29.22 PM.png

As you can see, the system holds up at preparing the team project for editing. We've seen this a lot as we've worked on the project, to the point where the system spins the beachball. But we've learned to let it sit and eventually the beachball will go away and the project will open. Today, for me, that's not the case.

As the project loads, the CPU goes up to 350% before going back down to about 100%. The Memory and Compressed memory rises steadily from the start you see above until the Memory is over 64GB and the Compressed Mem is over 60GB.

Here are a few details showing the progression:

CPU at 3:30 local time:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.30.03 PM.png

Memory at about 3:32 local time:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.31.39 PM.png

Memory pressure at 3:34 local time:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.34.59 PM.png

Memory pressure at 3:37 local time:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.36.59 PM.png

CPU at about 3:38 local time:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.37.41 PM.png

Memory and Compressed Mem continues to rise:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.39.12 PM.png

About 12 minutes after launch, the system (not Premiere) gives me the error "Your System has run out of application memory"

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.41.19 PM.png

The CPU usage falls, the memory pressure falls:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.41.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.41.38 PM.png

Nothing I can do will let me launch this. Any suggestions or fixes would be deeply helpful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Hi there,

I am sorry for the trouble you have been experiencing with Premiere Pro.

First of all, we do know about this memory issue with some premiere pro projects in 12.1.1.  We have already have a fix for this in a upcoming release.  Second, unfortunately, the only options we have for you is to roll back to the previous version or wait tell the patch is comes out.

-Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am sorry for the trouble you have been experiencing with Premiere Pro.

First of all, we do know about this memory issue with some premiere pro projects in 12.1.1.  We have already have a fix for this in a upcoming release.  Second, unfortunately, the only options we have for you is to roll back to the previous version or wait tell the patch is comes out.

-Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response Nate. It's disheartening, but that's life in software I guess.

Is the memory leak an issue in 12.1.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The memory issue should not be present in 12.1.0.

-Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nate.

I've just re-installed 12.0 and it would not open the project because it said it was editing with a newer client and to install Premiere Pro CC 2018.1. Is there a way to install 12.1 without going to the newest 12.1.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nate,

Just wanted to give you an update. We rolled back to 12.1.0 and tried to soldier on, but the project in Teams was just becoming unwieldy. Maybe it's my bad assumption that a network edit of a pilot was just the kind of use case Teams was created for (large, complex edits synthesizing many editors over many scenes/sequences into one cohesive whole) but we were typically getting load times of the project over 25 to 30 minutes (even without the memory leaks). Eventually dealing with the Teams project issues was eating up as much as 50 percent of our work time, so we went back to doing the project with carefully managed single use projects.

We love Adobe's ambitions and forward thinking, but for us Teams is unusable at this point. Would love to discuss this with some Adobe rep or someone involved in the Teams aspect of Premiere.

Thanks. Hopefully 12.1.2 or 13.0 will be the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If this helps at all, I solved this problem today by deleting what must have been a corrupted video file. I deleted it from everywhere, i.e. the sequence, project and also my rushes folder so it was no longer accessible.  I found it by watching the memory pressure in activity monitor while rendering and seeing where the render was up to in the timeline corresponding with when the pressure went into orange and red.

Premiere Pro CC Version 12.1.2 (Build 69).  I had the issue described in this post, then fixed, all on this version.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines