Exit

Once Photoshop is hidden, it doesn't show back up! [OSX] [2017]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm working under Mac OSX 10.12.4.

I can't be sure 100% it's because I hid Photoshop CC or I selected another application and chose to hide everything else, but Photoshop CC often won't show back up once it's hidden. The menu at the top is visible, they all work, but no window or toolbar is visible, so unaccessible. If I go in the Window Menu and select whatever in there to show up, it doesn't do anything.

So all that remains to do is save my work, close the application and open it back up.

Would try flushing my preferences, but it's always a pain to put everything back to how I like it, so I just want to know first if this is THE ONLY WAY to solve this problem, or if it comes from something else.

From all the apps I have on my Mac, it's the only application that behaves that way. And I can't really tell how I get this result so I can reproduce it at will.

Have you guys ever met this problem before?

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SkyOne,

Please try and reset the Photoshop preferences and check if that helps.

refer: Preferences in Photoshop

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a way to reproduce the issue reliably on

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.1.0 20170309.r.207 2017/03/09:23:00:00 CL 1107877  x64

Operating System: Mac OS 10.12.4

but it involves ESTK.

• With an image open in Photoshop go to ExtendScript Toolkit

• invoke ExtendScript Toolkit > Hide Others

• run a Photoshop Script in ExtendScript Toolkit that includes an alert

Subsequently I can close the invisible images and quit Photoshop but the interface elements including document windows will be »gone« and can not be made visible from the Window-dialog either.

photoshopHiddenProblem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SkyOne  You can be sure 100% that this is happening.  Its happening to me all the time on Sierra 10.12.5 and Photoshop CC.

This is the only Adobe app that does this.  In the past I always use full screen and 'hide" Photoshop to access other apps.  Since the upgrade to Photoshop 18.1.1 the active widows stay hidden with no apparent way to access them.  I can see the menu bar but no tool bar, pallets or images.  I usually have multiple files open at one time so I just guess at which files I need to save or "save as".  Sometimes even the "save as" is not an option.  I hope Adobe will respond to this soon.

opinion?

Thanks!

-Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not work. Please address this bug. I am tired of having to deal with it when I least expect it. It has been going on for a year and no updates fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me.

shift/click/drag from the left-hand edge, which you can see, & the entire window will resize from all sides.

You can then drag it back into view. Then click on the green "Minimize" button on the top left of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this worked for me. Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if you're experiencing a problem with the "Spaces" function. Please check System Preferences> (I think it's under) Mission Control. Click the keyboard shortcut that's in there for Mission Control. That'll show you a screen in which you'll see your open windows. Look at the very top, and note the "Screen Number" it's showing you. If it's not one of your main screens (I've had apps get me up to 44 different spaces), go ahead and delete the excess screens that show up. You can also use your arrow keys or mouse to navigate among spaces screens to get to the one that's showing Photoshop.

I've personally tried turning off "Displays have separate spaces", but hated that, because it removed the abiilty to have different menus on different screens - but you may want to check that out as well.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this post as well:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9536555?et=watches.email.thread#9536555

Seems to be an unsolved issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens much less often now that Photoshop has received a few updates since then. Not sure if it has been solved already. I'll come back here if the problem occurs again.

So far, I never trashed my preferences, I didn't do anything to solve the problem by myself. I just let things going, only because the occurence is way lower than before. But we never know.

Thanks for your attention guys! !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not solved.  Invisibility is happening here on Sierra with latest CC 2017 version.  Some open files that are unsaved can be saved via File > Close, but that's about all.  Once all unsaved are closed, other open files are inaccessible.

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 11.38.04 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem for me. I was thinking about a problem with my installation but with High Sierra, I've formatted and reinstall Photoshop CC from zero and the problem still happened. It would be nice if Adobe was looking for seriously this problem.

(Mac Mini OS X 10.13 - Creative Cloud CC 2017)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, high sierra.. ps shows up in spaces but once it's hidden some feature are not working like the 3 icons to close, minimize and resize the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I rarely hide it, but did so during teaching an online class. What a lousy time to find out THIS exists! Was teaching CC2017 on Sierra 10.12.6. UGH!

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any fixes on this? It has been happening a lot lately, especially since High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost as if the workspace is minimized to the dock. You can check there, or click on Window > Filename.

Cmd-Tab to cycle between apps may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this issue as well. Which COMPLETELY SUCKS because I need to save, but I cannot. I stand to lose hours of work because Adobe doesn't think it's important to debug their apps.

Anyway...

It seems to me that the app is hidden, and then a dialog is open (or the app requires attention in some other way - perhaps a mouse click on a button?). That keeps the app from progressing in any way, including becoming visible.

Not sure how to get past it, just my 2 cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Adobe tech told me that the hidden window will come back if you subscribe to Adobe Stock.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cursor to the bottom of your screen and click "Photoshop" icon in the pop up menu/toolbar it should make the screen visible again. This works for me on Photoshop & Premiere when I encounter this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean click it in the dock?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, click the application in the dock. (Sorry, wasn't aware that's what it was referred to)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but that doesn't work for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too - it's infuriating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, even the last update did not fix it, Adobe help please, I had to force quit PS four times today and had to redo lots of work.

Come on Adobe! I do not pay 50€ a month for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the problem doesn't prevent you from saving each document and close them one by one. Go to the Window Menu and at the bottom, select each file already opened and save them. Then close Photoshop and reopen it. Everything should go back to normal afterward.

This still is only a way not to lose any work done, it doesn't solve the problem.

I still use Mac OSX Sierra (too afraid of the problems it may lead to with Adobe products!!!) and the problem occurred only once in the last 3 months. But this doesn't mean the problem is not there. Do people have experienced the same problem on Mac OSX High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines