• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Docs not printing with CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Indesign this morning, and it won't print anything, whether the doc is graphic heavy or text heavy. Other docs and programs print to the printer I am trying to use without a problem, so I know this is an Indesign issue. It tries to flatten an image or stream content and then freezes every time. I tried restarting my computer. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Hi All,

We are very sorry for this frustrating situation. If you have already tried steps mentioned above that includes:

• Please check if there is any Windows update available? If yes, please install it.
  • Check the font used on the InDesign file and use the same fonts on Notepad and try to print.
  • Try installing the latest Printer drivers from Manufacturer's website, do not use CD/disk provided with the printer.

Please contact our support team at Contact Customer Care

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried printing from a PDF created from InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export a PDF and print that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that works, but am I going to have to do that forever from Indesign? There has to be a better solution so that I can continue printing within the Indesign program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best practice. Work in RGB color mode for your images and, from the InDesign Acrobat PDF Presets, select High Quality Print for producing a PDF for printing to a desk-top inkjet printer and PDF/X-4 for commercial litho printing (unless you've been given a different spec by your printer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly these people are not talking about pre-press here.  There is a print option in the menu that has worked for years that no longer works.  I fail to see the relevance of printing via pdf and see it as pointless and infuriating.  The product was broken with the last update and requires someone with relevant knowledge and clarity on the issue to address it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never use a printer that insisted on live files. I won’t argue when or if printing was broken in InDesign because I’ve never used it.

I’ve been sending PDFs for press since my Pagemaker days in 1998. If you find printing PDFs pointless it is clear that you’re the one not talking about pre-press!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Print command is still available in CC2018, but the recommended process for producing a PDF for commercial litho printing is to select from the inDesign Adobe PDF Presets, PDF/X-4. For printing to a desktop inkjet printer select High Quality Print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you are understanding. We started having this same problem about 3 months ago. When you hit the print button and select any printer, it doesn't print, it does save it to pdf, but that a work around that for smaller companies is a hassle. In Design mark as is printing, but the printer queue screen doesn't show like any document was sent to printer. You can use word, or other software like adobe reader or Photoshop and it would print normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't use that method for creating a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the title of this thread is "

Indesign Docs not printing with CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't produce posts with bold type in that manner, it's rude.

InDesign is not MSWord, that's a word processor. InDesign is the leading professional desktop publishing application. It has a steep learning curve and maybe you need to learn how to use it.

Lynda.com have a number of useful InDesign online video tutorials, you may find this one useful (you can get 30-days free):

InDesign: Color Management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Derek+Cross  wrote

The Print command is still available in CC2018, but the recommended process for producing a PDF for commercial litho printing is to select from the inDesign Adobe PDF Presets, PDF/X-4. For printing to a desktop inkjet printer select High Quality Print.

Actually, our recommendation at Adobe for printing out of InDesign or Illustrator is to always export PDF using the PDF/X-4 settings, regardless of the type of printer used from Acrobat! The High Quality Print settings are somewhat problematic in terms of color management, regardless of destination printer.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Maybe they should revise the description on the Adobe PDF Export dialogue box which reads: "Use these settings to create Adobe PDF documents for quality printing on desktop printers and proofers.  Created PDF documents can be opened with Acrobat and Adobe Reader 5.0 and later".

It was good to meet you in person earlier this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I get Indesign and illustrator printing again, my work prints better when I print there. This is very crippling for me, I'm losing

money at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the delay in response. This could be a result of the latest update in Windows PSL drivers. I would request you to please check a few things and share results:

• Please check if there is any Windows update available? If yes, please install it.
  • Check the font used on the InDesign file and use the same fonts on Notepad and try to print.
  • Try installing the latest Printer drivers from Manufacturer's website, do not use CD/disk provided with the printer.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srishtib,

I tried all of that and nothing still printed from InDesign.  This problem is hurting me real bad. I've done everything to get my files

to print. I created a new design today and it won't print.

Thanks

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a number of persons posting on this topic. What is your specific configuration? Windows or MacOS? Version?

What printer or printers are you experiencing the failure with? PostScript or non-PostScript? Specific models please?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

As Dov mentioned we would need more information to troubleshoot this further, I would request you to please share system configuration along with the questions asked above like:

What happened when you checked the fonts used on the InDesign file on a Notepad?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help. I have the same problem. Cannot print from Illustrator or InDesign. My printer is HP Color Laserjet pro MFP M281cdw. I am running Mac OS High Sierra v. 10.13.6. Whether the printer is connected via USB or WIFI, it doesn't matter. All other programs print to the printer. This is an Adobe problem and needs a fix. I am beyond frustrated with needing to output every file to PDF just to get a proof printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lumaclar, your exact version of Illustrator and InDesign please (and please do not say "latest"!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign — 13.1 x64

Illustrator — 22.1 (64-bit)

Thank you,

;-Dale

[personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are very sorry for this frustrating situation. If you have already tried steps mentioned above that includes:

Please contact our support team at Contact Customer Care

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the latest Printer Drivers from Manufacturer's website did the trick.

Thankful regards,

[Private information removed by Mod. Please, do not write any private info in public. ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just this morning had this same problem after a w10 update. Yesterday i could print fine from inDesign and now today nothing, i click on print and no job is sent to the printer, the printer icon flashes up, displays 0 jobs then goes away. Its just inDesign doing this, no other program affecting including illustrator which prints fine in program.

Has anyone come up with a fix? I've tried all the above steps and also downloaded the latest drivers from canon.

Windows 10 v:1803

Printer: canon LBP7100Cn (firmware: 20.62)

EDIT: Managed to get printing in InDesign again from in program, its the printer & Indesign not liking each other (i hooked up an old inkjet and the job went right to it no problem). I managed to get the specific printer status dialogue up by trying to print in word, leaving the paper draw open to get that window up. Once that window was up InDesign started printing again. However without that window being open its like InDesign wont recognise a printer is even there.

Very very odd.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines