Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manipulate file paths without relink?

Advocate ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello superscripters and idea-givers!

Ive digged into some scripts, but all they do is manipulate the read-only filepath, by copying and editing and then relinking to that image.

Here is the problem:

We currently use a DAM with a plugin that works links with file paths like "server://ourURL.ad.local:1234/ID/31758". It seems that Adobe forgot/doesnt support DataMerge when using this vault-technologie…thats a pity!

So, here is the idea:
Since I cant replace/place an image with a path that doesnt exist, I have to do that outside InDesign. Is that possible? Or what do you guys suggest?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

does that mean you cannot use DataMerge with link paths like the one you mentioned?
So you cannot do DataMerge with InDesign because all images are on the server?

And you cannot move images to your desktop because of the DAM?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats right. When i fill my listfile with these links, the DataMerge(-engine) seems to bypass the DAMs plugin, errors, and places nothing instead.

My idea was to let run a script on the indd-file, look for filepaths and replace them. But I guess I dont deal with plain text here.

Ill hand in a screenshot of the error tomorrow morning, but its a common i-cant-find-that-link alert.

Edit:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-24 um 09.03.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-24 um 09.03.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-24 um 09.03.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can access assets location from IDS, then you try to use symlinks in order to fool InDesign (long shot, not tested here)

Otherwise, http based links are not supported by default but DAM providers sometimes provide plugins to allow such links.

You may want to ask to the vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Loïc,

IDS? Do you mean InDesign Server?
Don't think that InDesign Server is involved.

@Jan,

what DAM system is installed?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender​ My bad, sorry for confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The DAM is provided by Canto named Cumulus. As I encountered the DataMerge not working, they said they correspondened with Adobe developers only to find out, with our setup using the 'vault'-tech*, its currently not possible. Which is bummer to find out afterwards. Canto is keen on helping us out with many occuring problems, but from my point of view the plugin-team did a mediocre job, not checking out what InDesign actually can do besides justing placing images. For example: they forgot to support indd-files as a asset, with their plugin I have to work around (using pdf) not being able to place an indesign-filetype.

We have this reoccuring jobs, where I roll out a 15-page document by DataMerge filled with ~150 links, and the excel-list has 95 of this records. We still have to bypass the DAM, and thats not feeling right.

*Can someone give some insight what the heck this 'vault'-setup/configuration really is/does, is it a plugin-developer-feature, and is it possible that Adobe messed up here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines