Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom Search with Merged Projects

Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read the instructions on www.grainge.org, but I don't seem to be getting results from any of my merged projects. I think the problem is the directory structure of my merged projects. Can someone confirm?

My structure is:

Master SDK (placeholder folder)
----Main SDK (where my Main xpj file is and the TOC links to the merged projects)
----Merged_Flash (folder where I put my merged projects in)
--------MergedProjects (where the Main SDK compiles its output)
--------------Child Project 1 compiled output
--------------Child Project 2 compiled output
--------------Child Project 3 compiled output
Child Project 1 (xpj)
Child Project 2 (xpj)
Child Project 3 (xpj)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the relevance of the "----Merged_Flash" folder. The "--------MergedProjects" folder should be directly under the "----Main SDK" folder, should it not?

In addition, you're indicating a mixture of "xpj" (source files) with "Child Project x compiled output."

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion - yes, my child xpj files are on the same level as the Master SDK. The compiled output is in the mergedprojects folder. I don't know why I created a Merged_Flash folder (this is my first attempt at merged flash). But, I also don't see how it would hurt anything with the search tool.

I looked over the instructions on grainge.com (again) and it looks like I am missing a few "stages." I will rework. Thank you for your response. This is all uncharted territory for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you download the demo and see the setup there.

MergedProjects should not have any files in it. It is a folder containing the child projects only. The parent output would be in Merged_Flash.

The structure of your source projects is also not as I would do it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the demo, but do not understand why my source projects are not proper.
They are all at the same level. Should they NOT be at the same level as the Parent project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started Method 2 before I saw your last post. I have a question about Method 2.

What is meant by "redirect" in the stp below? (Do I add the "<meta....." to the topic?

In the parent project create a topic called Search Redirect. Make it a blank page in the same way as for the parent except the redirect is going to the Search Options page. Remember, the relative path is the one between the Search Redirect and Search Options in the output. In the demo it is
<meta HTTP-EQUIV=refresh CONTENT="0;URL=.\mergedProjects\child_1\search_files\search_options.htm">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you need to look at my Merged Help topics. There it is explained how you need to structure things and why. As long as you don't want links between the parent and the child projects in either direction, the structure is less important.

However, I based my instructions for ZoomSearch on using that structure so if you want to use something different, you will have to figure out the impact.

What I suggest is that you work with the demo first, make some changes and introduce new words for the search to find. Prove that you can modify the demo and still have the search working. After you have done that, then you can think about modifying things to suit your structure.

The main thing I would not do is generate the outputs to a folder within the source.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm on to Method 2 now ...

I have a question about Method 2 - Stage 1 - Point 3

3. In the parent project create a topic called Search Redirect. Make it a blank page in the same way as for the parent except the redirect is going to the Search Options page. Remember, the relative path is the one between the Search Redirect and Search Options in the output. In the demo it is
<meta HTTP-EQUIV=refresh CONTENT="0;URL=.\mergedProjects\child_1\search_files\search_options.htm">

Per steps 1 & 2, the instructions had me create a "Search_Options.htm" topic at the root of the Child 1 project.  However, the redirect is to a "Search_Options.htm" file in a "search_files" folder.  I have no search_files folder in my Child 1 project per these instructions.

My Child_1 project in the zip file is called "OnBase_API_SDK."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 omits to state where search_options.htm should be but it is clear from Step 3 that it should be in the search_files folder.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Just wanted to be absolutely sure.  My track record isn't the greatest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I publish the child1 project (DocComp) using Method 2 - Stage 2 and click on the ZoomSearch button, the search.htm page appears, but the search input box is missing and the page is not functional.  Also, the TOC/Index window displays an error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening just the child project? If so it will not work from there.

You have to open the parent and search from there.

After creating your projects, you have to generate / publish all of them. Then create the search database which will include all the child projects. It is not built on the fly as it is with RH's own search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I obviously need to take this step-by-step.  I have a question about step 2 in Stage 2.

Stage 2

Now we need to change the way the search of all topics is configured and then set up the searches of the child projects.

1. In the published help for Child 1 you created a folder called search_files. Under that create two folders, all and child1. Delete any earlier search files.
  2. Open the ZoomSearch configuration file that was created earlier and change the output folder so that it now goes to search_files/all in the published folder structure. Change the relative path (add ../).

I created the "all" and "child1" folders in teh published help for child1.  (The published help for child1 is in the MergedProjects folder...NOT in the "/generate" folder at the top level of the project, per the Merged WebHelp demo.)

Proceeding to step 2....

It says to modify the ZoomSearch configuration file just created earlier, which is the one for the entire Parent project. This configuration file (that I confirmed to be correct in the zip file I sent) has the following relationship for Start directory and Output directory:

Start directory
c:\workspaces\SDKI_Int\SDK\generate

../

Output directory
c:\workspaces\SDKI_Int\SDK\generate\search_files

Here is where I am confused....

Step 2 nows says to change the Output directory so that is goese to "search_files\all" in the published folder structure.  I am confused because there is no "c:\workspaces\SDKI_Int\SDK\generate\search_files\all" in the publilshed directory --- the "all" directory was greated in the child1 project. (And if I do so, ZoomSearch rightly gives me an error stating that the Output directory doesn't exist.)

So, am I supposed to create an entirely new ZoomSearch configuration file that has nothing to do with the previously created configuration file, but instead has the following configuration that relates to the new chld1 project structure?

Start directory
c:\workspaces\SDKI_Int\SDK\MergedProjects\child1\search_files

../

Output directory
c:\workspaces\SDKI_Int\SDK\MergedProjects\child1\search_files\all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may as well ask the other question that I have for Stage 2...

Step 6 says to create a link to "search.htm" --- do I create the link using the "Insert Hyperllink/Popup"  feature in Robohelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to be sure that I haven't messed up this part of Stage1, Step 3...

Stage 1

1. Go to the Child 1 project and create a topic called Search Options. Just give the topic a title for now. We'll add the options later.
  2. Generate and publish Child 1 so that the Search Options page exists in the output.
  3. In the parent project create a topic called Search Redirect. Make it a blank page in the same way as for the parent except the redirect is going to the Search Options page. Remember, the relative path is the one between the Search Redirect and Search Options in the output. In the demo it is

In step 3, the Search_Redirect.htm file is created in the Parent Project (not published output).  When instructed to redirect this topic to the "Search_Optins.htm" file for child1 ...  Is the redirect going to the "Search_Options.htm" file in the child1 project folder or the child1 published output folder?

If my understanding is correct, it looks like the <meta> example in this step redirects to the "Search_Options.htm"  topic in the child1 project (\mergedProjects\child1....) instead of the "Search_Options.htm" in the child1 published output (\generate\mergedProjects\child1 ...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just taken a look at the instructions and in Step 1, item 4 the redirect points to a folder named mergedProjects\child_1\search files. Using Method 1, that folder does not exist as search_files is at a different level. It looks like the instructions omit a specific step creating that folders, albeit that it is implied in Stage 2, item 3 as you would not be able to add those folders to a folder that does not exist.

I will revise the instructions with some graphics that may help.

Try again creating search_files under child_1 and then repost what questions remain.

Capture1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have converted my flash help to WebHelp and have used the structure in your demo exactly. ZoomSearch works great, except...

The links in the zoomsearch results are broken. The URLs point to "generate/search_files/mergedProjects/child_1" but my ouput (per your merged WebHelp demo) put the output in "generate//mergedProjects/child_1." I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp