Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs and Search

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have read through all the postings on breadcrumbs and incorrect path information when reusing topics.I have followed the advice to create a snippet of the topic and to paste the snippet into new topics wherever this topic is needed in the helpfile. So my structure looks something like this

Book1
Topic A (which is the snippet)
Topic B

Book2
Topic I
Topic A (snippet again)

However, this now creates a problem in Search. If I search for an entry I get two results that show exactly the same wording. I'm not sure how I can get around this but thought someone might have an idea? I'm using RoboHelp 7.03.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Helen

I'm not sure I fully understand what the issue is here. You cite wanting to use Topic A more than once in the TOC. No problem there.

You state you created a Snippet with the full contents of a topic and are using the Snippet in two different topics. Okay, no problem there either. I'm guessing the Breadcrumbs are correct now for both topics, no?

But if you basically used the same Topic Titles for each topic containing the Snippet, how are you expecting it to be presented to the user when a search is conducted? I think you would need to ensure the Topic Title is different for each of the topics using a Snippet.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,
what I'm trying to do is to use the same topic in a different book in the same help file. In order for the breadcrumbs to work, I added the whole topic (including heading) into the snippet library and then added the snippet into a blank page. When I tested the Search, two identical topics were displayed. Which sort of makes sense. However, since it really is the same topic, I didn't want to have the same topic text with two different headings. I think that this means that I either have to remove the breadcrumbs, have two topics displayed in the Search with the same heading or change the heading. I was just hoping that there might be another way ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Helen

If it were me, I'd simply leave it at that. You have both topics in the TOC as you wanted. Breadcrumbs working as you like. Search is the absolute last place I ever want my user so I'd just leave it at that.

Hmmm, in thinking about it, do you have RoboHelp 8? If so, perhaps try configuring one of the topics presenting the snippet so it is excluded from search. That's one handy little feature of RoboHelp 8 right there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2009 Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rick,
thank you for your response. It might be time to look at RoboHelp 8.

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp