Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Red screen in illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've just run the update for illustrator and all I can see now is a red screen (ie the illustrator window is filled with red).

New windows, existing artwork, everything is just red with nothing else.

Can someone suggest how to fix?

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Just try to Disable the GPU Performance and it will be good.

- From the rocket icon in the application bar.

- disable the GPU Performance.

GPUPerformance_Preferences_shadow.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never seen anything like that. what OS?

post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug, here's what I'm seeing.

Spoke to Adobe helpline and they've told me to switch off my GPU performance. A bit annoying as I'm on a two week old mac.

MACos 10.13.3

Graphics card: Radeon Pro 560 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I think it's got something to do with using an external monitor because the problem disappears when I use my laptop without.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 16.26.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just try to Disable the GPU Performance and it will be good.

- From the rocket icon in the application bar.

- disable the GPU Performance.

GPUPerformance_Preferences_shadow.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic. That's fixed it.

Thanks Omar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Omar, this solved the same problem this end. Excellent advice Sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Analogy: Your car is breaking down when in 5th gear on the highway and someone is suggesting for you to just go into second gear and you call that an "excellent advice"? Very sweet of you sir.

Of course deactivating the most powerful feature of your computer for this particular set of tasks is not a "solution" - it's a "workaround", hopefully a temporary one at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here when i updated Illustrator CC this morning… bloody big red screen. Not really good enough solution to just say turn off GPU performance. Obviously it is a bug in the update. I created a new set of prefs and still happens. Why is it happening Adobe and when will it be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a bug, Yo have to get a high performance GPU to enable it and if you don't have a good GPU or you have a problem with it's driver so don't enable it .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why are you suggesting it's not a bug? that's clearly at odds with people's experience here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally bought a brand new mac last week. Top of the range Mac Book Pro  with Radeon Pro 560 4 GB and I have this issue.

Surely that counts as a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omar… I disagree totally and it is definitely a bug as my Macbook Pro fully matches and exceeds the specs as noted on the Adobe Illustrator requirements.

I am running  MacOS Sierra 10.12 and have 64-bit support and most definitely have high enough GPU specs that it should run:

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

VRAM: 2048 MB (with 2GB recommended)

Open GL version is 4.1 (version 4.0 or greater is recommended)

Memory: 16 GB (8GB recommended)

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Quad Core i7

A problem with the Drivers you say? Defintely not a problem with GPU drivers on my MacBook Pro.

And it works with the most recent past version of Illy so assume there is a bug in this latest version.

So, when can we expect a fix?

Have been using Illustrator since Illustrator version 3 in 1990 (and Macs since then too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omar.Fathy  wrote

It is not a bug, Yo have to get a high performance GPU to enable it and if you don't have a good GPU or you have a problem with it's driver so don't enable it .

Hi, Omar,

It is a bug. The previous version of Illustrator worked fine for me with GPU Performance enabled. More importantly, the Performance preference pane still tells me that I have a "Compatible GPU available".

After updating, the screen goes black for me whenever GPU Performance is enabled even if I force my MacBook Pro to use the compatible NVIDIA GeForce GT750M graphics card. Disabling GPU Performance is not a suitable permanent solution for many Illustrator users with this problem.

Adobe, is there an estimate for a release of a bug fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly if everything is good and you have all things good and the problem is still exist, Now it is a bug.

but we was speaking about the problem that Corindog asked about and we solved it.

You are welcome All .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We need some help with a test.

With GPU ON Can you please turn on your application framework from windows→ Application framework and let us know if the issue goes away.

I have also taken the liberty to subscribe you guys on the UserVoice post: Illustrator documents open to a red / black screen – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just turned the Application Frame and the GPU on, and the file does not open up to a black screen, so this seems to be a fix.

BUT, (in my opinion) the Application Frame is horrible, so if we can get things back to how it used to be that would be fab.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ETA for a fix to this? It's been three months. Turning on the application Frame or disabling the GPU is not an acceptable permanent solution.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone else still seeing this, just hit F on your keyboard. This seems to be some sort of temporary compositing glitch and if you toggle views a bit (using the F key) you can get it to disappear.

For me I see the red screen in the artboard area whenever I open a new file. When I turn on the application frame (as suggested above by Adobe) or hit F to toggle views it goes away and I'm able to work as expected. I did not change anything in the Preferences panels.

My setup: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017); macOS 10.13.6; Illustrator on an external monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post

Hitting the F key works for me, without turning off the GPU.

Get this sorted Adobe, its not good enough to open files and be presented with a red screen and no logical way to work on the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TriChas  schrieb

Get this sorted Adobe, its not good enough to open files and be presented with a red screen and no logical way to work on the file.

This is not a general issue.

In order to get this sorted, please post a bug report on http://illustrator.uservoice.com

As this is a very specific issue, you will need to post details about your system and hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would have heart attack if that happened to me.  Hope you found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines